Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-sewing-quilting-bad-habit-have-just-never-been-able-break-t178000.html)

cmw0829 02-03-2012 09:33 AM

I hold pins in my mouth. Bad habit.

bj 02-03-2012 09:44 AM

I think my most persistent bad habit is forgetting to turn off the iron. My bad habit I seem to have conquered is misplacing my tools. Now they all have a place to live and I make sure they go "home" when I'm done with them.

JudyTheSewer 02-03-2012 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 (Post 4938582)
I wait too long to change my rotary blade -- and I also sometimes don't close the blade.
I don't clean the machine after every project -- though I do try-- but when I do clean I am very thorough.
I forget to replace the needle in a timely manner.

This is not bad, but when I cut my fabric, the bulk is on the left -- I cut from right to left. If I don't use the shape cutter, I use two rulers when I cut the fabric.

I cut right to left also. I think it is because I watched TV shows to learn how to quilt and I never mirror imaged what I saw on the screen when the hostess's were rotary cutting their fabric. I like the double ruler method too.

Dingle 02-03-2012 10:07 AM

I sew over pins. I hold pins in my mouth. I forget to close my Rotary Cutter. I don't clean my machine as often as I should. Maybe one of these days I'll learn.

nhweaver 02-03-2012 10:14 AM

Honestly, I hate to iron, most times when sewing blocks I use a plastic thing a ma gig. Next is the rotary blade issue, try to get the last roll out of the blade, then last is organizing my scraps/stash by colors. Everything is a mish mash. Once a year of so, I take everything out of bins, closets and organize only to mish mash when designing a project.

charity-crafter 02-03-2012 10:25 AM

About sewing over pins-I remember in high school during home ec, I was told it was ok to sew over pins if they were placed correctly. Was my home ec teacher telling fibs or was it the thing to do a <cough> couple years ago---ok 30 ish years ago?
I rarely sew over pins now.

I cut under my arm with the rotary cutter, I hold the fabric and ruler with my left hand and cut under the arm with the rotary cutter. I always check to make sure no new people are around when I cut because I don't want them to pick up that bad habit.

newbee3 02-03-2012 10:38 AM

I am also quilty I don't always iron but in my defence I do finger press

QuiltnNan 02-03-2012 11:26 AM

Wow, I believe I am guilty of ALL of the above :o

Tartan 02-03-2012 11:41 AM

My worst habit was biting through thread when I was in a hurry. It's no longer a problem since my "bite" has changed. Getting old is the pits!

Floralfab 02-03-2012 01:05 PM

Waiting too long to change my rotary blade. I used to wait too long on needle change also but finally realized that it's best to change it when it starts to make a thumping noise. My machine sews much smoother then.