Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What should I charge? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-should-i-charge-t72134.html)

steelecg 10-26-2010 03:53 AM

I agree $65 is too low - I think my person charges .015 per sq inch for overall design.

stormnrose 10-26-2010 04:00 AM

Way to low in my way of thinking as well! Child that is alot of work!

ree-nee 10-26-2010 04:08 AM

not enough. Go to ebay or google your question. I have seen others charging as much as $.75 per inch. Adds up to much more.

ksea 10-26-2010 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by kalady
I have altered clothes for years and sold various crafts and am a free lance Home Economist/Consultant- all work where I set my own prices.

This is my best advice- esp since this customer is NOT IMMEDIATE family, really she isn't. Charge more -think of what you would or have paid and charge at least that. I believe when you cheapen yourself and your skills you send a message to others and yourself that you are not worth it. Set a good price, a fair price but do not discount yourself. Tell the customer your price and make no apologies. If you are questioned, the answer is "frankly I am committed to great work and charge a price that makes me be able to devote the time and effort to give you the wonderful results you have a right to expect." IMHO It is better to lose those customers that want too low prices and get paid for the quality work you do.This family discount - and lets face it she is much removed- phooey- creates a bunch of extra layers. Are you going to keep doing more at a discount, even when it eats into your family, personal time?? Would she discount for you? How much are your lives entwined?

I also stress that I do not alter for just anyone- this is true- it weeds out bargain hunters that do not respect your skill and time and also creates a feeling of exclusivity. I only take referrals-keeps the payment problems down. This philosophy has worked for me- I can not handle all the work I am offered.

Do not cheapen or discount your talents! We women tend to do that, I believe because of the fact that so much of our life/family work we are not monetarily compensated or recognized for.

Now I relinquish my soap box to someone else...

Very, very well said!!

jeannie t 10-26-2010 04:15 AM

When you charge for your services its a job not a hobby so family or not you are entitled to a fair price , I think your to low. If you charge everyone the same it cannot come back to haunt you that you did Jane Does for less . Things do leak out and it could hurt your future business with others or hurt feelings. good luck!

quiltmom04 10-26-2010 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by kalady
I have altered clothes for years and sold various crafts and am a free lance Home Economist/Consultant- all work where I set my own prices.

This is my best advice- esp since this customer is NOT IMMEDIATE family, really she isn't. Charge more -think of what you would or have paid and charge at least that. I believe when you cheapen yourself and your skills you send a message to others and yourself that you are not worth it. Set a good price, a fair price but do not discount yourself. Tell the customer your price and make no apologies. If you are questioned, the answer is "frankly I am committed to great work and charge a price that makes me be able to devote the time and effort to give you the wonderful results you have a right to expect." IMHO It is better to lose those customers that want too low prices and get paid for the quality work you do.This family discount - and lets face it she is much removed- phooey- creates a bunch of extra layers. Are you going to keep doing more at a discount, even when it eats into your family, personal time?? Would she discount for you? How much are your lives entwined?

I also stress that I do not alter for just anyone- this is true- it weeds out bargain hunters that do not respect your skill and time and also creates a feeling of exclusivity. I only take referrals-keeps the payment problems down. This philosophy has worked for me- I can not handle all the work I am offered.

Do not cheapen or discount your talents! We women tend to do that, I believe because of the fact that so much of our life/family work we are not monetarily compensated or recognized for.

Now I relinquish my soap box to someone else...

I agree - this is not immediate family. I always try to figure just how "ticked off' I will be to do hours and hours of work and get paid a pittance. If I'm doing it mainly as a favor for family and the little bit of money makes them feel like they've paid - then OK. I've often told them DO NOT TELL ANYONE WHO DID THIS or I'll come and take it back! :) But if your sister-in-law's mother-in-law's best friend Marge is going to expect the same price, then be carefull about charging too little. Like $65 is.

moosegirl 10-26-2010 05:18 AM

We have places in east Tn that do over all pattern quilting starting at $50. includes batt and backing but if I do them myself I charge alot more. Moosegirl

ree-nee 10-26-2010 05:58 AM

AMEN!

katlady 10-26-2010 06:14 AM

How many hours is it going to take to do the job?? What do you charge by the hour to sew.

dphelps 10-26-2010 06:21 AM

I think too low even at "family" price.