Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What should I do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-should-i-do-t219773.html)

meldmac 04-22-2013 07:56 PM

What should I do?

So been working on a paper foundation string quilt and have been sewing the rows together as I go along. I have just been using the regular pressure foot on my brother sq9050 up until a couple of days ago. Well I decided to try the 1/4 foot and I realized I am much more accurate with the 1/4 foot. I have 100 blocks sewn together into rows and about 100 left to go, my dilemma is do I just put the regular foot back on and do them all with that even though it is not as accurate, or tear out all the stitches and start over? What would you do?

mooshie 04-22-2013 08:00 PM

I would finish with the regular foot and use the 1/4" foot in the future. Ripping it all apart just doesn't seem worth it.

Scissor Queen 04-22-2013 08:01 PM

I'd just put the other foot back on and finish it. As long as all the seam allowances are the same it should match up just fine. You'd just be making a whole lot more work for yourself for no real reason.

Tartan 04-22-2013 08:01 PM

I would put the other foot back on and finish the project. It is more important to be consistant than 1/4 inch seam allowance. The only exception would be if the blocks or sections of a quilt had to be a specified size to fit pre-cut borders etc. You can use the 1/4 inch foot on your next project.

Donnamarie 04-23-2013 05:35 AM

I agree. Make the rest the same as you have done. Got to love that 1/4" foot though. I use it all the time.

soccertxi 04-23-2013 07:04 AM

This is a string quilt? a scrappy one or planned? If it is scrappy? I would sew the strings with my 1/4 inch foot and save up a couple rows and sew the blocks together with my reg foot. If its planned, i would do the whole thing with the reg foot. I dont' even change machines for a project. I want consistency, consistency, consistency!

Jingle 04-23-2013 10:31 AM

I'm with most of the others. Continue on with the regular foot. Try to remember to se the 1/4" foot on future quilts. I also agree with consistantcy is the important thing.

ckcowl 04-23-2013 10:50 AM

if it's a string quilt- why not just go ahead & finish the blocks with the 1/4" foot you like better- then trim the first blocks to be the same size as the new ones? or finish up without making changes & remember the new foot for future projects. when i do string quilts i usually need to square up/trim blocks anyway to get them all the same- there is always a little variation as i go along- especially when so many blocks are involved- so i would just trim them all the same size before starting construction- but that's just me...i would never consider taking 100 blocks apart---i may decide to use them for a different project---but i would never take them apart :)

Nammie to 7 04-23-2013 05:40 PM

Consistency is the key - keep using the foot you started with - in the future use the 1/4" foot.

joyce888 04-23-2013 07:37 PM

Yes continue with the foot you started with.