Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What should I do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-should-i-do-t97841.html)

Airwick156 02-08-2011 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good Morning to everyone. I know that I will get an answer pretty quick here and that is why I am asking here and besides, I have to leave for my weekly sewing "get together" in less then 2 hours and want to work on this while I am there today.
I am doing a Beach Ball Quilt. The beach ball is is ironed onto fabric using that wonder under stuff. I don't want to leave it as it is, I want to try to use the sewing machine and go around each section of the ball.
Should I use a zig zag stitch? Or a regular stitch. And what color thread should I use.
I do not have a blanket stitch on my sewing machine and when I get a new one, that will be one of the requirements besides a drop in bobbin and automatic threader so that is not an option. I don't have the patience to do it by hand...oh not even...I salute anyone that has that kind of patience.

On the picture, that little round circle that goes in the middle is not put on yet. Doing that today. :)

bjeriann 02-08-2011 09:06 AM

I would use a zigzag stitch matching the color of each section.

jdiane318 02-08-2011 09:06 AM

There is nothing wrong with what you are wanting to do. I would stitch in the ditch the from inside to outside each colored panel, then use a varigated thread and zig-zag around the ball. Cute pattern and idea.

Dawn Hendrix 02-08-2011 09:07 AM

a straight stitch will work.. or a zig zag.. maybe match the color of the fabric.. or invisable.. possibly white or black.. no quilt police here it will look wonderful what ever you choose

PaperPrincess 02-08-2011 09:07 AM

If a zig zag is all that's available, then that's what I would use. I would pick a medium gery thread or maybe a good time to use some varigated?

Airwick156 02-08-2011 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by bjeriann

If I do matching each section, do I need to use the same color thread in the bobbin? I have 13 of these to do. And I have never sewn like that. But I am more then excited to try it AT LEAST once!!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-08-2011 09:32 AM

I agree with the zig zag stitch, but I think I would use a loud fun color. Maybe a bright orange all over the ball. Be then again, I like bright loud colors. I think they are cheerful.

noveltyjunkie 02-08-2011 09:33 AM

I vote variegated thread- have fun!

dungeonquilter 02-08-2011 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156

Originally Posted by bjeriann

If I do matching each section, do I need to use the same color thread in the bobbin? I have 13 of these to do. And I have never sewn like that. But I am more then excited to try it AT LEAST once!!

Test on a scrap over a scrap background. Sometimes the bobbin shows on the top, but if you adjust your tension, you should be able to get a nice look. It might help to have some stabilizer on the back while you are stitching. Plan paper works for this.

EagarBeez 02-08-2011 10:10 AM

I would use zig zag stitch with invisible thread