Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What should I use to back... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-should-i-use-back-t272797.html)

Serianas 11-29-2015 01:36 PM

What should I use to back...

A quilt for my father? The reason I ask He has a skin condition called Psoriasis and at the moment he is having a problem with his toes. The medication he has been given makes his skin very thin and prone to breaking so on an evening after work he prefers not to wear socks but has the problem of cold feet! I need something soft but easy to quilt :) thanks in advance!

Tumdarra 11-29-2015 02:36 PM

what about using flannel for the backing

thimblebug6000 11-29-2015 02:57 PM

Would he be able to stand the weight of a quilt on his feet, if the socks are painful? If he could, you might like to put a wool batting inside the quilt, and it would be warm and light, and you could put regular cotton or anything you like on as a backing.

ManiacQuilter2 11-29-2015 04:40 PM

Have you thought of making him a quillow and he could put his feet inside the pocket where the quillow is folded up and stored in.

meyert 11-29-2015 05:13 PM

minky fabric is very soft..

sushi 11-29-2015 05:25 PM

Silk? Pricey, of course, but it might work.

Tartan 11-29-2015 06:44 PM

​I think minky would be nice. It is a pain to work with but so soft.

Bree123 11-29-2015 09:34 PM

I think you would be best served by asking him. I know my own dermatologist has said when I have a flare up I am to dress all in cotton from head to toe. Cotton doesn't shed as much as some other fabrics & can be washed regularly to remove irritants. Whatever you pick, I would definitely pre-wash it in a "free" detergent and be careful about even what you use to starch it. Personally, I cannot stand my beloved flannel sheets when I have a flare up because the fuzzies get stuck either to the creams I use or they get stuck in the "cracks" in my skin. But I want to emphasize that in spite of our common diagnosis, we may have different needs or preferences.

I think it is so sweet you are trying to find something to make him more comfortable. I finally found a protocol that got me relief & have been mostly symptom-free for months now. I truly hope you father can find a protocol that will work for him.

quiltingcandy 11-29-2015 09:41 PM

I was thinking quillow too. I made them for my family to take to the football game when we had season tickets. Now they use them and keep their feet in the pocket. I used 60 in. wide fabric so the pocket is fairly big. The quillow folds up to a 19in. x 19 in. pillow.

Serianas 11-30-2015 01:25 AM

Oooo now this quillow idea intrigues me... I will do research forthwith! I like the idea of minky but would it work on the dsm? would I need a special foot?
And Bree, its a horrid disease isn't it?

Itchy and hot and uncomfortable… He was diagnosed in thefifties, so naturally not a lot was know about it back then, and father is inthe top ten worst cases in Britain as there is only his face that isn’t affected,and he has tried everything from topical remedies to acupuncture to PUVA.Now he is on anti-cancer drugs just to stophis skin from cracking and getting infected alongside the creams.Its weird though because in my family only malesare permanently affected while females or sporadic…
Im so glad you have found the right combination for comfortbecause I know how uncomfortable it can be.I don’t tend to notice it on him, hes just my dad, but people out andabout can be horrible too.

Mum says he only wearswool socks now and that’s helping a little.