Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what size charm squares do you like? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-size-charm-squares-do-you-like-t66215.html)

Sadiemae 09-22-2010 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma

Originally Posted by ckcowl
gosh i feel dumb...i thought charm squares were always 5"

Well now I feel dumb because I thought the same thing.

I think Moda and the other companies stared out with 5" charms, but we quilters don't believe in rules and have kind of changed the rules...hehehe

loopywren 09-22-2010 02:18 PM

So did I, and all have been so far except I have just received some which are 6" even better!

Beth 09-22-2010 02:22 PM

I'm with you I thought they were only 5"

AnnieF 09-22-2010 02:24 PM

I agree, I cut the larger sized charms because you can sub-cut them if you need to. I use the 5 & 6 inch charms.

gollytwo 09-22-2010 02:26 PM

I have been using 4" and 5" for 2 disappearing 9-patch quilts; I've seen them with 6", too large, loses its effectiveness
I use 2 1/2", 3" and 3 1/2" for other tops

My 1 1/2" day are over. I made my Postage Stamp years ago.
I sometimes do a checkerboard border with them though.

I'm using 6" and 8" squares to make 2 quilts with sports,animals and New England looking fabric for the 2 sons of neighbors who've been very kind and helpful to me. They'll be a surprise this winter.

Charms, by the way, have been around forever, long before Moda fabrics even existed.

cjomomma 09-22-2010 02:30 PM

Well then if that's the case about breaking rules then I like all the sizes. But I like the 5in most, I have to get a templet for that size.

gollytwo 09-22-2010 02:39 PM

Well then if that's the case about breaking rules then I like all the sizes. But I like the 5in most, I have to get a templet for that size.

It's very hard to find 5" templates in my experience.
I had a few made at my local glass shop. They made them in about 1/4" thickness of some kind of plastic.
If you go that route - tell them accuracy is critical.

cjomomma 09-22-2010 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo

It's very hard to find 5" templates in my experience.
I had a few made at my local glass shop. They made them in about 1/4" thickness of some kind of plastic.
If you go that route - tell them accuracy is critical.

Thank you for the info. I might try that if I can't find one with markings on it.

wvdek 09-22-2010 03:52 PM

Me too.

featherweight 09-22-2010 04:04 PM

I really like the 5". I also like the 10" layer cakes.