Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What size to cut scraps? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-size-cut-scraps-t302719.html)

oksewglad 02-04-2019 06:27 AM

Re: 7" squares. Maybe this person likes HST quilts..think Carpenter's Star...a 6" finished HST is often used. Two 7" would yield 7 6.5" HST's with some trimming. Just a guess here.

Darcyshannon 02-05-2019 12:57 AM

I like applique so it can be hard to cut pieces into certain sizes. However, 2.5” seems the most useful. I want pieces so I can put a quick quilt together and not have to think so much or cut to start. However, I don’t want to spend too much time cutting. I do have strings in one storage area. I also have some precuts of 2.5” and I think I will set a goal to start working through my scraps and at least color sort them and have a plan so I can use them in quilts.

Bobbinalong 02-05-2019 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 8205197)
Re: 7" squares. Maybe this person likes HST quilts..think Carpenter's Star...a 6" finished HST is often used. Two 7" would yield 7 6.5" HST's with some trimming. Just a guess here.

That is a possibility oksewglad, but this blogger is heavily into scrappy. Not sure if the board rules here allow me to use her name but these are her 'go to' sizes; 1 1/2", 2 1/2" and 3 1/2" strips/squares and 5", 7" and 10" squares. I've read some of her older posts and the 7" is often cut down or used as a background square for applique. I don't think that it is a size I'm going to add at the moment.

I guess it is a way of ensuring you have 4 x 3 1/2" matching squares for the future though.. . . .oh no, am I talking myself into this size now?

toverly 02-05-2019 05:57 AM

I only keep my batik in scraps. I keep 2 1/2, 2 and 1 1/2 squares. I don't keep strips. I guess it depends upon how you sew. With the squares I can always build. I keep them separated in 2 gallon plastic bags ready to pull for a sew day or bee.

Snooze2978 02-05-2019 06:55 AM

I don't cut my scraps up until I need them. I throw them into the closest width size downward bin. Anything larger than 5.0 gets thrown into an "large" bin so if need be it can be cut smaller. I have bins for sizes 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 and 5.0. No 4.0 as I rarely see patterns using that size. Just pulled all the neutrals, yellows and purples from my 2.0 and 2.5 bins for a pattern. Also will pull from my fat qtr bins as I consider them scraps and not yardage. The pattern I'm working on has over 3,000 pieces to it and only had to pull a few yardage pieces and mostly for the sashings, borders and bindings.

IrishgalfromNJ 02-05-2019 01:47 PM

I cut my scraps into strips because I like to make string quilts with them. I don't bother about the length but they need to be about 2" wide at least.

Faintly Artistic 02-05-2019 05:11 PM

I cut the largest piece I can get from a scrap. 5" or smaller. Anything bigger than that stays intact until I have a use for it. I use strings and 1.5"-5". My one oddball size is 2.75" squares used when making flying geese units. They pair with 5" squares when making 4 geese at a time.