Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What size fabric do you store and what do you use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-size-fabric-do-you-store-what-do-you-use-t128719.html)

Rhonda Lee 06-07-2011 07:19 AM

I'm delving into my stash to make it more user friendly for me. Based on books and articles I have read here are the following categories of sizes, shapes, and colors suggested to store and how to store: yardage, strings, strips, blocks, bricks, chunks, charms, chips, fat quarters, cakes, jellyrolls, strays; colors, like colors, darks, light, everything else or medium, value, season, and theme. Storage: bins, boxes, shelves, zip lock bags, baskets, and drawers.

I have neatly stored yardage on shelves. All material folded the same way allowing for width in variance and info for yardage pinned to the fabric, such as, 3yds or 5yds or whatever the amount may be.

Anything 2 yds and under has been folded approx. to a 6X4 size to fit into clear plastic containers, all color cordinated in the appropriate container and stacked to be easily viewed.

From the 2yds and under group, I'll be cutting fat quarters. The remaning fabric from a fat quarter size will be cut in to blocks, bricks and strips. The block sizes I mostly use are; 8 1/2, 5, 3 1/2, and 2 inch squares. Strip sizes, 1 1/4, 2, 2 1/2 inches. I am hoping this will work. I want to start moving my huge stash and I think this will help. What sizes do you use? I am going to go outside now and think about all this while I am doing yard work. I'll come back later to read what you all may have added and hope I can muster the courage needed to get the job done. I really appreciate the help and encouragement received from you. Love you I do.

Susie Quilter 06-07-2011 07:23 AM

Hmmmmmm.......when you get yours all organized, you can come organize mine. lol

Tartan 06-07-2011 07:40 AM

I tend to leave everything 2 yards and up in one piece. I can use the 2 yard pieces for backs on small child's quilt or lap quilts. Longer yardage I save for big projects or borders. I like to cut borders on the more stable lengthwise grain and it can sometimes take quite a bit of fabric. All my leftover yardage I cut into fat quarters or add to my scrap bin. Small pieces I donate to my guild for the people that do miniatures.

bearisgray 06-07-2011 07:49 AM

I would NOT cut longer lengths up into anything until needed.

One can always cut something up, but it's hard to lengthen it once it's been cut up.

dinlauren 06-07-2011 07:55 AM

I leave one yd pieces intact and smaller pieces like fq's go in drawers. Bigger pieces go in large bins by color. Good luck organizing...

Deborahlees 06-07-2011 08:13 AM

I have all my 2 and more yard piece neatly rolled on mini bolts on a shelf. These are what I can use for backings.
and yes I have a note on each one as to how big it is.... any thing under 2 yards have been sorted by color into plastic draers. all standing on end so I can see a color in a glance. Do have "specials" in boxes like all my christmas prints or all my 'fancy' like satin and velvet..all flannels seperate...and label, label, label...can never ever label too much. I use the post it labels that are stickly all over the back....

Jennifer22206 06-07-2011 08:18 AM

I fold everything half yard and bigger. FQ or smaller pieces go into drawers

BJ SewKkrazzy 06-07-2011 08:39 AM

Being a crazy quilter, I rarely buy fabric larger than a half yard. Usually, I buy a quarter, or fat quarters. I hunt down thrift stores for good buys on "fancy" fabrics. Then I cut them up into smaller pieces. Most all of my fabrics fit by color into the small plastic bins. I label them for satins, or orientals, velvets, etc.
I can't fathom the yardage that some of you collect! It boggles my mind! But then I make up for it by collecting embroidery threads, beads, buttons, charms and of course books....
Each addict to it's own...eh!

bearisgray 06-07-2011 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I have all my 2 and more yard piece neatly rolled on mini bolts on a shelf. These are what I can use for backings.
and yes I have a note on each one as to how big it is.... any thing under 2 yards have been sorted by color into plastic draers. all standing on end so I can see a color in a glance. Do have "specials" in boxes like all my christmas prints or all my 'fancy' like satin and velvet..all flannels seperate...and label, label, label...can never ever label too much. I use the post it labels that are stickly all over the back....

I don't know what the long term effect of stickies are on fabric - I DO know that masking tape leaves icky residue and sometimes a yellow stain.

I would put the label on the BACK of the fabric - just in case - and as close to a "corner" as possible.

sewcrafty 06-07-2011 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I would NOT cut longer lengths up into anything until needed.

One can always cut something up, but it's hard to lengthen it once it's been cut up.

I agree. 2 yards can be a one piece border on a lap quilt. I fold everything 1 yard and up and everything else gets sorted.