Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What size needle do you use to sew on binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-size-needle-do-you-use-sew-binding-t187615.html)

nhweaver 04-29-2012 01:47 PM

What size needle do you use to sew on binding?

I have machine sewn my double fold binding onto my gd quilt, and now am blind stitching it onto the back of the quilt. I am using my between that I hand quilt with, and then the thought struck me. Why have I done this for years? That needle is so short, that I have finger cramps from gripping and pulling that dang short needle. Is there any reason why I can't use a regular length needle? i am regular sewing a blind stitch. Is this a light bulb event for me?

Marilynsue 04-29-2012 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by nhweaver (Post 5180629)
I have machine sewn my double fold binding onto my gd quilt, and now am blind stitching it onto the back of the quilt. I am using my between that I hand quilt with, and then the thought struck me. Why have I done this for years? That needle is so short, that I have finger cramps from gripping and pulling that dang short needle. Is there any reason why I can't use a regular length needle? i am regular sewing a blind stitch. Is this a light bulb event for me?

Silly girl! BUT, you are forgiven and can now go forth and use your regular needle.

ckcowl 04-29-2012 03:21 PM

you can use any needle you want- it's you doing the sewing! i never use betweens (even when hand quilting- i hate the short short needles) i generally use a sharp- or a milner (straw needle) to stitch my bindings- the size needle is dependant on what thread i am using- often for hand stitching - bindings, piecing, applique- i use silk thread so i use fine thin needles= but fairly long- sharps- being the most popular general sewing needle i have the largest supply of & use the most- in sizes from 8, 10, 12 & 14's
i also have a good supply of John James Milner's (which are quite long) generally in 10's & 12's

Scissor Queen 04-29-2012 03:23 PM

I use embroidery needles for most of my hand sewing. Go buy a pack of assorted needles and pick the one that suits your hand best.

Neesie 04-29-2012 03:41 PM

I usually just grab whatever needle is handy, with no clue as to its size. If it's too big, I'll grab the next handiest one. Yes, I am now hanging my head, in shame. :(

hopetoquilt 04-29-2012 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5180880)
you can use any needle you want- it's you doing the sewing! i never use betweens (even when hand quilting- i hate the short short needles) i generally use a sharp- or a milner (straw needle) to stitch my bindings- the size needle is dependant on what thread i am using- often for hand stitching - bindings, piecing, applique- i use silk thread so i use fine thin needles= but fairly long- sharps- being the most popular general sewing needle i have the largest supply of & use the most- in sizes from 8, 10, 12 & 14's
i also have a good supply of John James Milner's (which are quite long) generally in 10's & 12's

Oh the things I learn... silk thread for binding. Why didn't I think of that??? I always used hand quilting thread. It would be nice to have one set of thread that I can use for applique and binding.

Jackie Spencer 04-29-2012 07:08 PM

I use an embroidery needle and regular thread, the same color as binding.

quiltjoey 04-29-2012 07:26 PM

I like to use small-eyed (like a 9 or 10), short, needles which work best for me. The small needle is easier for me to manipulate. It's just a matter of preference as to what each person likes. My Mother (she's gone now) taught me to use the small needles when I was young. Guess it always just stuck with me...

nhweaver 04-30-2012 04:26 AM

Duh, silk thread makes so much sense to use for the binding too!!! I use it for applique, and I am going to finish the binding with silk thread. So many kinds of thread, but when I am educated, I use my education!!!