Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what are the smallest scraps that you keep? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-smallest-scraps-you-keep-t147952.html)

annesthreads 08-26-2011 01:31 AM

I've been quilting for a few years now, and have kept any scrap that will make at least a 1in square. I was putting some of these small bits away the other day, and suddenly wondered whether I'd ever actually work with a scrap that was only 1in wide - the seams would mean there was nothing left of it! How small do others go?

annesthreads 08-26-2011 01:41 AM

Apologies - have just found the recent thread asking the same question.

thomp116 08-26-2011 02:19 AM

I save 1.5-inch and up. I am actually starting a quilt using the 1 1/2" squares...I need 3396 of the little guys.

annesthreads 08-26-2011 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by thomp116
I save 1.5-inch and up. I am actually starting a quilt using the 1 1/2" squares...I need 3396 of the little guys.

Oh my word - I wish you luck!

ckcowl 08-26-2011 02:39 AM

save what you will use- pass on the rest-
there is no reason to hang on to tubs and tubs of scraps you will never do anything with- if you are not an appliquer- (who uses very small pieces all the time) or a scrappy quilter- the scraps just grow and grow-
there are always people out there who would appreciate what you will not use-
i keep 2 baskets under my cutting table- one for the scraps i will reuse- the other for the ones i will not-
when the 'will-not' basket is full i put them in a bag- then into a box and look to see who is needing some scraps-and pass them on- sometimes to someone here on the board- sometimes they go to the senior center- or the elementary school art department...but pass them on-
if you have not used any of them in a couple years- it's time to (weed) and make room for new- usable :)

jeaninmaine 08-26-2011 02:48 AM

If anyone is getting rid of scraps, I would dearly love to have them, my budget doesn't allow me to buy too much yardage and I just love scrap quilts. I will be happy to pay postage.

SuziC 08-26-2011 03:44 AM

Jean, i will save my scraps for you!!!

luvTooQuilt 08-26-2011 03:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Im a scrapper- i keep anything i can cut down to 2 inches...

Ill cut my scraps with my go and toss them in their perspective bins till i have enough to make a scrappy quilt.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

If anyone should feel the need to 'weed' I would love to take the off your hands, NO waste here..and the uglier the better for me!!!! I will use anything from less that a fq to 2.5...

heres my latest..

2 inchers into blocks..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]246882[/ATTACH]

Chicca 08-26-2011 04:31 AM

Scraps are fabulous; scraps can easily become overwhelming...ask me how I know. The smallest size I keep are one and half inch squares.

mom-6 08-26-2011 04:54 AM

I keep anything over 1 inch wide. I do not cut the scraps into a specific shape until ready to use. After all I might want a strip or a triangle or some other shape instead of a square!