Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What are some of your personal rules/guidelines for when you are making a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-some-your-personal-rules-guidelines-when-you-making-quilt-t223409.html)

Peckish 06-11-2013 07:14 AM

Rule #1: Enjoy the process.
Rule #2: See rule #1.

I'm currently working on a quilt that is requiring a lot of attention and work to get the seams to match up. My friends say it's too hard, or I'm a glutton for punishment, or they could never take this long to make a quilt. That may be true, but I'm enjoying the process. The end product will be worth it.

qbtexas 06-11-2013 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6115803)
Rule No 1 that I never break: I always close my rotary cutter after each cut. I never cut with the rotary cutter without a safety device for my fingers.

I wear shoes in my sewing room and when I'm sewing. I will not sew over pins. I don't pull my thread from the machine from the top, always from the needle. I won't use old bobbins. I guess these are my only do or don't sew at all rules I have for myself. Other rules are made up as I go or broken.

OK....I see the other safety measures....but what is the reason for not using old bobbins? Are you not using the old thread, or not even re-filling an empty bobbin that has been used?

running1 06-11-2013 07:37 AM

1) Have FUN!! 2) Choose forgiving patterns!! 3) Have FUN!!! 4) Occasionally learn something new 5) Have FUN!!!
6) Quit quilting when I'm tired 7) Have FUN!!! 8) Whenever possible, quilt with a friend 9) Have FUN!!!!
10) Occasionally quilt for someone in need and last..... Have FUN!!!!!

cowgirlquilter 06-11-2013 07:55 AM

I make quilts that I love, and hope the receiver does to. If they dont, I dont want to know.

I dont always measure everything, and if a long piece is wavy, I make it work anyway.

I dont make anything I wouldnt want to receive.

I dont care if my quilt is totally squared up.........it is beautiful to me.........

I give a piece of my heart with each quilt, so rules and quilt police are not particularly welcome!! :)

mom-6 06-11-2013 08:26 AM

My "rules" are simple.
Pay attention to what you are doing so you don't mess up - again.
Pray for the recipient as you make it (whether I have someone special predetermined or not).
Enjoy the process - when it starts feeling like work, go do something else for awhile.
Keep trying new things - it might not be as hard as you think.
Practice makes perfect (well, better anyway)
Don't cut when you are tired (see first rule)

Puttergeo 06-11-2013 08:43 AM

Thanks so much everyone for this thread and the one about the quilt police!!!! I feel so much better. I do pretty much all of those things, my family raves about my quilts, and instead of enjoying that I worry about all the imperfections. I'm so happy to know so many of you have the same problems and don't worry about them! It's a new day for me.

bearisgray 06-11-2013 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by judylg (Post 6115690)
. . . Certainly I follow the rules to achieve a quilt that will wear well and not fall apart.

And lay flat - and fold neatly. (Opposite sides are approximately the same length and the four corners are approximately 90 degree angles)

charsuewilson 06-11-2013 09:15 AM

Nothing's perfect. Do your best. Accept it and move on.

maminstl 06-11-2013 10:10 AM

My rules - I only make what I want to make - and I'm not in a race. Take my time and enjoy the process. If I hate it - abandon it and move on.

CorgiNole 06-11-2013 10:14 AM

I quilt by the Pirate Code - " And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules."

My goal is to learn something from each project and enjoy the process.

I do have a few hard & fast safety related guidelines that I follow - closing rotary cutters and changing needles regularly. However, I also work barefoot, especially when stitching.

My hope is that my quilts, when finally finished, are pleasing to the eye and constructed well. Some mistakes I'll redo and others get left as is - it depends on if a mistake affects the overall quilt.

Cheers, K