Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What spary bottle do you use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-spary-bottle-do-you-use-t208774.html)

yippie 12-18-2012 09:36 PM

What spary bottle do you use

HELP please what spray bottle do you use to use the home made spray elmers school glue. I mixed up the receipe elmers school glue plus water and a few drops of soap. I could not get it to spray it just came out in streams of glue. So I thought my sprayer was not working so I put the sprayer with it hose in a glass and when all the glue was rinsed out it sprayed real nice. SOOoo i tryed again with the glue. still did not spray correctly. Is the a particular spray bottle you use????? Do I need to add more water the recipe calls for 1 on 1 glue to water and 2 to 5 drops of water.

So for the next quilt I did the drizzle with the elmers school and that takes a lot of hand power. It came out in nice lines like in the turt some one posted but in a little while the lines turned into dots of glue. So I spread them out.

What am I doing wrong!!!!! I have not tryed to quilt them yet still waiting for them to dry.

Thank you for looking and for your help happy days of quilting to you yipppie

schoolteacher 12-19-2012 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by yippie (Post 5728541)
HELP please what spray bottle do you use to use the home made spray elmers school glue. I mixed up the receipe elmers school glue plus water and a few drops of soap. I could not get it to spray it just came out in streams of glue. So I thought my sprayer was not working so I put the sprayer with it hose in a glass and when all the glue was rinsed out it sprayed real nice. SOOoo i tryed again with the glue. still did not spray correctly. Is the a particular spray bottle you use????? Do I need to add more water the recipe calls for 1 on 1 glue to water and 2 to 5 drops of water.

So for the next quilt I did the drizzle with the elmers school and that takes a lot of hand power. It came out in nice lines like in the turt some one posted but in a little while the lines turned into dots of glue. So I spread them out.

What am I doing wrong!!!!! I have not tryed to quilt them yet still waiting for them to dry.

Thank you for looking and for your help happy days of quilting to you yipppie

I was wondering the same thing!! Will be watching this post!! Come on, you quilters, help us out!!

eparys 12-19-2012 05:09 AM

Ok ladies - I have never done this but I was curious about this post and googled the topic. I found this "e how to" tutorial - one of the comments was if it did not spray add a few more drops of dish soap.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6598712_make...lue-spray.html

Another note - if the Elmers is not brand new - it gets thick and gooey. Off topic - I have, at times, used straight Elmers instead of Eileen's when I was out and to quicken the drying I have use a pressing cloth and an warm Iron.

Stitchnripper 12-19-2012 05:26 AM

I use Elmer's straight from the bottle, with the tip that comes on it. I spread a real thin bead in a grid, or wavy lines, and let dry. I have ironed, but usually not in that much of a hurry. I get good results that way.

Jingle 12-19-2012 05:39 AM

If too thick I would think you would need more water. I don't sandwich with glue, just big safety pins.

schoolteacher 12-19-2012 05:48 AM

O.K. ...to those who responded and that have used the glue/water in a spray bottle....does it hold as well as glue that is not diluted? This is something that could be extremely helpful. I have used old undiluted glue...tried to spread it out and when it dried it was hard to hand quilt through. I assumed it was because it was not spread evenly enough and the oldness of it...(probably 5 years old...:) Kids grown and left so no need for the arts and crafts anymoe!!

Stitchnripper 12-19-2012 05:55 AM

schoolteacher, when I baste with glue, I don't spread it out on the batting, just put it sort of where pins would go, but in a very thin bead. I find if I hold the bottle up a little it drizzles out really finely. I've done about 6 quilts this way so far and never had a problem with the machine, but, haven't hand quilted.

sewmary 12-19-2012 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by schoolteacher (Post 5728888)
O.K. ...to those who responded and that have used the glue/water in a spray bottle....does it hold as well as glue that is not diluted? This is something that could be extremely helpful. I have used old undiluted glue...tried to spread it out and when it dried it was hard to hand quilt through. I assumed it was because it was not spread evenly enough and the oldness of it...(probably 5 years old...:) Kids grown and left so no need for the arts and crafts anymoe!!

Are you sure you were using Elmer's SCHOOL glue?

yippie 12-19-2012 11:52 AM

Thank you all. EPARYS thank you for the site I went to it but could not find the tutorial, your added information is helpful I added more water so now I will add more soap. No matter what way I did it the glue beads up looks real pretty. I do not know if that is all right so I spread them out. your extra not use new glue mine is new ( i purchased at back to school days) To Stitchnripper (love your name) putting spots llike pins that sounds great also. Happy quilting everyone

ploverwi2 12-19-2012 12:10 PM

I feel quite silly that I don't know what the glue, water, and soap together are used for. Can someone tell me what it is all about and what words I would use to google for a tutorial.
Thanks so very much