Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what is a stash really good for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-stash-really-good-t249106.html)

bj riley 06-26-2014 11:28 AM

what is a stash really good for?

I have a closet full of stash, mostly given to me by my friends when I learned to quilt several years ago. No matter how I try I can never seem to find what I need to do a project. Is it me?

sweetpea 06-26-2014 11:37 AM

scrap quilt are a great way to use put you stash. or pick one of two from your stash and work with them to biuld your quilt project.

Tartan 06-26-2014 12:08 PM

I have my stash on boards and arranged in colour families. When I see a pattern I want to try, I go to my stash and see what colour family I have the most of and what will work the best for the pattern. I do buy fabric to go with it if necessary.

Juliebelle 06-26-2014 12:25 PM

I have been using up a lot off my older fabric stash for backing for my project Linus quilts. I am finding lots of stuff that I had forgotten that I had and it is fun using it.

QUILTNMO 06-26-2014 12:26 PM

i make scrap quilts they are fun!!!

Piper 06-26-2014 12:33 PM

Nope, not just you. I'm that way too. But I think we are in the minority. ;)

Actually, I had a substantial stash for years that I rarely tapped into. Either the shade I wanted wasn't just right from my stash and I had to buy new anyway, or I just plain didn't care for the fabric anymore. So one day about a year ago I bagged most of it up and donated it to a local church that has a quilting ministry. They make quilts for kids in need all around the world, so I felt very good about them getting all that fabric. Finally it would be put to some very good use! :)

These days, I have a very small stash of mostly whites and neutrals, but for the most part my new rule is to buy fabric when I'm ready to begin a new project and then USE it in that project. And I love this way of quilting!! I get to go to the quilt store (or shop online since most of my fabric comes from Missouri Star Quilt Company) quite often without guilt that I will be buying fabric that will sit around and may never get used. :)

Oh, and this saves me a TON of money since I'm not buying fabric just to sit around for months or years. When I buy fabric now, it gets used right away. Not sitting around, no waste. Love that!! :)

ghostrider 06-26-2014 01:26 PM

I never, ever, make scrappy quilts, but a stash works for me the same way a pantry full of food does when a winter storm is expected. I live out in the middle of the woods and the stash means I don't have to worry about going out for supplies if the weather is bad, if I don't feel like 'fixing my face', if I want to start something new in the middle of the night, or if I just want to get right to the joy of quilting and skip the running around part. It's pretty easy to select just what I need from what I already have and when I do feel like shopping, I buy for stash, not for a particular project. I find it very liberating to have a good, solid stash. :)

Terri D. 06-26-2014 01:27 PM

No, I don't think it's you. I think it might have a lot to do with the fact that most of your stash includes fabrics that other people picked, not you.

Lori S 06-26-2014 01:32 PM

I have a large stash .. and can only remember one time I shopped for fabric just for one specific quilt in the last ten or more years. I consider it my quilters pantry and keep it stocked. Too often I found when I was ready to sew .. going out to buy fabric ..the inspiration would pass. I also found that quilt shops aren't open very many nights, and since I work , its the only way I can stay quilting.

quiltstringz 06-26-2014 01:33 PM

We accumlate a stash for a number of reasons: Love the fabric can't leave it behind, It is on Sale, Leftover from a project.

I found that once I organized my fabrics (comic book boards) and could see everything it made a huge difference. I now go to it first and then shopping for what I can't find. It amazes me that I have used at least one piece of stash in everything I have put together since I got (mostly) organized. Still working on the 1/2 - 1 yard pieces since I decided to wrap only 1+ to 6 yds, over 6 I ruler folded for backs.

After seeing how much I do have my new rule is I can't buy it unless I have a plan for it. Let's hope I can stick to it