Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is a Stillito (can't spell it) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-stillito-cant-spell-t217773.html)

Pollytink 03-30-2013 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by carslo (Post 5964994)
I used a bamboo skewer broken in half for my stiletto, works fine and cheap to buy. I received a Purple Thingy at the guild and I use it also but my default is the broken in half bamboo skewer. Check the klitchen you might already have a stiletto in there :)

Me too! I have a Purple Thingy but have never used it.

alderdweller 03-30-2013 12:22 PM

*sigh*
I know what one is, but I don't use it....Am I the only one? Maybe I should try it, just always looked awkward to me on the quilting shows I've watched.

Earleen 03-30-2013 04:22 PM

I have a few things , some Dentist like tools, some have straight points and some are bent, but still use my fingers for the tiny pieces.

Sewnoma 03-30-2013 04:32 PM

I have a bamboo one and I use it a lot. Not only for getting the fabric under the needle properly, but I also use it to sweep thread out from under the feet when I've just changed a bobbin, and to grab the little loop of top thread my self-threading thingy on my machine makes behind the needle when I thread it. Also to catch the little loop of bottom thread when pulling it up through to the top at the start of FMQing. I used to always use little pointy scissors for these jobs until the time I accidentally bumped the needle down button while my scissors were under the needle and shattered the needle into 3 pieces....one of which would have hit my eye if I didn't wear glasses! Scary! So now I just use wooden things around the needle; it seems a lot safer.

I have a bamboo skewer that is very pointy that is my favorite, but I also have a couple of narrow-ended chopsticks that will do in a pinch. I really hate sewing without my skewer!

IrishgalfromNJ 03-30-2013 04:37 PM

I use a double pointed bamboo knitting needle as a stilletto. I use it a lot to hold seams down while I'm pressing to keep from burning my fingers.

Central Ohio Quilter 03-30-2013 05:01 PM

I have one of the double ended one and I use it all the time! I love it!

deedum 03-30-2013 06:15 PM

Yep the bamboo skewers, you can buy at whole package at the dollar tree for a buck. Lots of wooden stilletos for a buck. Best of all, if yr needle hits it as oppose to the metal one, it doesn't break the needle. You just sharpen it and on you go.

deedum 03-30-2013 06:16 PM

Yea, I have the purple thing too, never use it.

mighty 03-30-2013 06:21 PM

I love mine would not want to be without it!!!

jemma 03-30-2013 07:04 PM

purple thangy is ok but mine keeps loseing its self!--bamboo skewers work for me less broken needles always one available cheap as -i keep my metal stilleto[cant spell it either] for pushing holes through tough fabric /leather etc which is its other use