Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the strangest fabric you have used to make a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-strangest-fabric-you-have-used-make-quilt-t143175.html)

bjeriann 08-06-2011 04:09 PM

When I was about 22 yrs old I made my DD a quilt out of pillow ticking. I didn't know that when it was washed all the cute little flowers and stripes would come off. My DD loved that quilt. I can't say it was poorly made, but I wasn't proud of it. So after 10 yrs or so I throw it away. DD came home from school and instantly knew it was gone. I told her it was in the bumpster, knowing she wouldn't go get it, being the clean freak she was. Boy was I wrong, she was in that bumpster digging and throwing trash around till she found it. So after washing it a couple times, I gave in and never tried to get rid of it. She still has it in her cedar chest with a note all about the quilt, including it's time in the bumpster. So what is the strangest fabric you have used?

dakotamaid 08-06-2011 04:11 PM

Oh, that is so funny and cute!! It just goes to show we don't know what our kids remember and want to keep.

My strangest fabric was sweatshirt material. I did manage to get it sewed and tied with out stretching it!! My aunt still has it at the foot of her bed cause the colors are so bright.:)

Peckish 08-06-2011 04:17 PM

Guess that quilt meant more to your daughter than you realized! ♥

p.s. *giggle* what's a "bumpster"?

bjeriann 08-06-2011 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
Guess that quilt meant more to your daughter than you realized! ♥

p.s. *giggle* what's a "bumpster"?

The large green boxes outside the apartment building for people to throw throw trash in.

Peckish 08-06-2011 04:44 PM

Oh. We call those "dumpsters" where I live. I've never heard of a "bumpster"!

teacherbailey 08-06-2011 04:46 PM

some parts of the US---we call them dumpsters. Craziest fabric I ever tried to use was inexpensive corduroy. The quilt top weighs a ton and never did get finished since it doesn't need any more weight of batting or fleece backing. It's done in all narrow-wale purple prints, though, and I really do like it!

Peckish 08-06-2011 04:51 PM

You know what. I'm gonna call them Bumpsters from now on. It makes me giggle!

The weirdest fabric I ever used isn't really that weird. Before I knew what I was doing quilt-wise, I quilted a top onto a fleece blanket, didn't use batting. My son does love that quilt, though.

ptquilts 08-06-2011 05:02 PM

Hand woven fabric, made several in collaboration with a weaver. They were beautiful, she made really nice fabric.

LisaGibbs 08-06-2011 05:25 PM

I wanted to bond with my former MIL and she quilted, but not that thrilled about showing others. So I went out and bought all this mauve fabric and the templates for the double wedding ring and just started cutting without reading the instructions. First I made a huge mess out of the cutting and failed to read the instructions about on fold line thing. Then the fabric. It was so cheap I bet it was made from plastic fibers. I quit, put the entire mess in a bag and sold it in a garage sale for nearly nothing. Unfortunately, I forgot to keep the acrylic templates and they accidently were sold. Someone probably went home, threw the fabric away it was so bad and bragged what a bargain they got in my expensive acrylic templates.

amma 08-06-2011 05:48 PM

disco sequin fabric and netting LOL it was for a art quilt :D:D:D