Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what is this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-t212812.html)

janceejan 02-04-2013 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32 (Post 5837045)
Oh, yes, oh yes! Every spring, the lace curtains had to be carefully laundered and then affixed onto the needles of the stretcher and left until dry. You could put multiple layers on at one time too. And the little children are not to touch the precious curtains or the stretcher. If the little girl has been very ill and is left home on Sunday morning with Daddy while the rest of the family goes to church, she might pull at the rehung curtains so as to look outside. The Daddy would tell her "leave them alone, do not touch the curtains.." If the little girl doesn't listen, the Daddy gets terribly angry and shuts the little girl in a closet. The closet is very dark and the door is oak and little hands find a brass curtain rod and she commences to beat on the door with the brass rod. The Daddy hurries to the closet, opens the door and sees the little girl, blue in the face and frothing at the mouth. To this day, the little girl still cannot stand to be confined in any way. If the weather is anywhere near nice, the front door is open, when nobody is around, the bathroom door stays open....get the picture? The Daddy appologized for many years, even until his death. You see, Momma had just rehung those lace curtains after the washing and starching and stretching and the Daddy knew the Mommy would be angry if they were messed or mangled. The little girl is 80 now.

I am sorry :( bet the little girl doesn't do lace curtains either........

mjsylvstr 02-04-2013 05:36 AM

wow..did this thread bring back memories......as jokir44 mentioned......your fingers did get pricked a LOT........

Maybe today, you could use it as a holder for a design wall..the heavy felt could fit right onto the needles and felt is thick enough to almost cover the tiny needles... .thus the pricking might lessen....just a thought.

bunniequilter........you must be of a younger generation !!!!!!!!!

Conartist1945 02-04-2013 06:01 AM

OMG! What a walk down memory lane! We had one as well

brenwalt 02-04-2013 06:14 AM

It's a curtain stretcher. Pricked my finger many times on one. Definitely not for quilting.

PolkaBabe 02-04-2013 07:39 AM

My first thought is a curtain stretcher. We had one when I was a youngster. I remember helping mom put our curtains on it.

PensyDutch 02-04-2013 10:09 AM

Yes, it definitely is a curtain stretcher. I still have one in my closet. I have used it on lace curtains over the years many times.

jbj137 02-04-2013 01:32 PM

Yep, curtain stretchers.

Material Witness 02-04-2013 06:20 PM

Yooper32, I feel your claustrophobia. Dads don't know squat about babysitting, do they? At least back then. Why didn't people just iron their curtains? They do have a low setting.

gramma nancy 02-04-2013 07:25 PM

I cast another vote for curtain stretcher. Used to help my mother do ours.

Scakes 02-04-2013 07:26 PM

I've never seen them either. I learned something today. Interesting!