Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-t311652.html)

Tippysmom 07-06-2020 11:56 AM

What???

1 Attachment(s)
What would make my bobbin thread look like this? I’ve changed the tension both ways and nothing works!
can anyone help?Attachment 626343

juliasb 07-06-2020 12:37 PM

It does look like bobbin tension to me. Also check your thread weight and needle size.

Onebyone 07-06-2020 12:46 PM

I had the same problem yesterday. I had just replaced the bobbin so I took it out and turn it over. It solved the problem.

Gay 07-06-2020 12:49 PM

Seems to me that the bobbin tension needs more tightening. Also how tight did the thread wind onto the bobbin. I find I need to hold the thread when winding to get an even fill and enough tightness, though too much can pop the sides of the bobbin.

Barb in Louisiana 07-06-2020 01:48 PM

I get something similar if the bobbin doesn't keep an even tension on it when it is winding. Does the thread look smooth on the bobbin itself? If there are any loops it could be the problem. You can either rewind it on to another bobbin or use it to sew with as the top thread. If your machine sewed properly before this bobbin, then I would suspect the bobbin winding or lint. Or the bobbin could be in backwards, or there could be lint somewhere in the machine. It is amazing that lint under the bobbin case can cause those kind of stitches.

But....the top thread is supposed to pick up the bobbin thread and pull it up some to tighten it and make a seam that lays flat. Did you recently change the thread on the top? Try re-threading the machine on the top. Typically, if you see the problem on the bobbin side, the top thread is the problem. Maybe it didn't go through the tensioner. Maybe you missed something in the threading path? .. mess with any tensions without taking pictures or writing down where you were when you started.

Sometimes, but not often, the thread does not like the fabric you are using. Try a different fabric with a simple seam to see if this could be it.

IceLeopard 07-06-2020 02:56 PM

I agree, take out both thread and bobbin and rethread the machine, and check that the bobbin is in the right way. My machine won't even sew if the bobbin is in backwards. It just makes thread nests. Have you hit a pin recently? Could your needle be slightly bent?

Jingle 07-06-2020 03:42 PM

I would also try a larger thread setting.

Watson 07-06-2020 05:11 PM

Have you taken out your bobbin case and cleaned under it lately?

Also, the bobbin case on my Janome just plain old wore out and was making the bobbin thread do weird things...It was puckering the fabric and.you could just pull it straight out after sewing a seam. I had tried everything but as soon as I put in another bobbin case everything went back to normal. If nothing else works, it may be that.

Watson

Railroadersbrat 07-06-2020 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by IceLeopard (Post 8399732)
I agree, take out both thread and bobbin and rethread the machine, and check that the bobbin is in the right way. My machine won't even sew if the bobbin is in backwards. It just makes thread nests.

Mine is the exact same way, if it's in backwards, it won't pick up the thread when I try to bring it up through the plate.

I would double check and see how the bobbin was wound, I know that sounds crazy but after watching a video on YouTube that explains just how important a correctly wound bobbin is, I swear by it.

bibi 07-07-2020 04:47 AM

You might want to try a new needle, after you did a thorough cleaning if your machine.