Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What thread do you use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-thread-do-you-use-t9969.html)

quiltsRfun 08-07-2008 03:23 PM

I'm just wondering what kind of thread everyone uses and which seems to have the least lint. I've been using Gutterman and Coats and they leave quite a lot of lint in the bobbin case area so I have to clean often. This wasn't a problem with my old Kenmore, which wasn't computerized. But I recently got a new sewing machine--a Husqvarna Designer 870--and it seems to be very sensitive to lint. The machine stops and I get a message on the screen to clean the bobbin area. Is this common to computerized machines? In any case, I'd appreciate some suggestions about what kind of threads you all use.

Thanks in advance.

quiltwoman 08-07-2008 04:54 PM

I have been using a thread called The Bottom Line by Superior threads. I love it. It's pricey but you get over 1400 yds. It comes in some great colors too.

Elizabeth A. 08-07-2008 05:35 PM

I have found Aurifil leaves the least amount of lint, after being disappointed in Sulky and Gutterman (and less expensive names too(. I used blue Aurifil for my last quilt and there was no more than a tiny tint of blue when the top was done. It is two strand Egyptian cotton and it does cost more but my sewing machine loves it, I don't have nearly the troubles I did before I found Aurifil.

mamatobugboo 08-08-2008 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
I have found Aurifil leaves the least amount of lint, after being disappointed in Sulky and Gutterman (and less expensive names too(. I used blue Aurifil for my last quilt and there was no more than a tiny tint of blue when the top was done. It is two strand Egyptian cotton and it does cost more but my sewing machine loves it, I don't have nearly the troubles I did before I found Aurifil.

And the beautiful thing about Aurifil is that you can get more on your bobbin so you run out less!! I love Aurifil, although i mostly use Gutterman becasue of the 40% off coupon. :lol:

KellyPA 08-08-2008 12:36 PM

Where do you buy Aurifil thread?

kinkajou 08-08-2008 12:40 PM

I also use Aurifil and have no problems with lint build up.

Kelly - Do a Google search and I am sure an online retailer will come up.

Elizabeth A. 08-08-2008 03:49 PM

Kinkajou is that lovely new white kitten yours?

I've been getting my Aurifil when I buy fabric at www.desperatequilters.com, I've found lower prices but it works out better for me to get it from them because I can order fabric at the same time (and their fabrics are name brand for less money than the other places I've checked, and I did the Fab Shop Hop so I checked a lot!)

kinkajou 08-08-2008 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
Kinkajou is that lovely new white kitten yours?

I wish! It's an animated avatar, the kitten should be licking the screen but for some reason it's not working : (

roseville rose 08-13-2008 05:16 PM

Have no problem with Guttermans at all. I have had problems with Coats and Clark.

KellyPA 08-13-2008 05:24 PM

I ordered some Aurifil and used some tonight. It works nicely, but I have problems with it spinning too much because the hole is much larger than the hold on the Coates threads. Any thoughts?

I also ordered some in varigated and I can't wait to use it. I have been trying to think of a small quilt I can make just to try it out!