Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the trick to remove fusible "back-side" when Appliquing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-trick-remove-fusible-%22back-side%22-when-appliquing-t139947.html)

CAS49OR 07-24-2011 11:08 AM

I'm putting circles on a bird house (bird holes) and it is really difficult to remove the other side of the fusible. Is there a trick to this?

lisalisa 07-24-2011 11:09 AM

I score it with a pin. Just make a simple line and it will separate no problem.

CAS49OR 07-24-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by lisalisa
I score it with a pin. Just make a simple line and it will separate no problem.

I tried that, and frayed the edge there but did not make headway.

Tartan 07-24-2011 11:12 AM

With Wonderunder, you score the center with a pin. Then you can peel from the center out and it doesn't fray or distort your applique edges. I don't know if this works for all fusibles.

CAS49OR 07-24-2011 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
With Wonderunder, you score the center with a pin. Then you can peel from the center out and it doesn't fray or distort your applique edges. I don't know if this works for all fusibles.

That's a great idea! I wonder how big the hole would have to be to not leave a trace and still be able to peel back?

RUSewing 07-24-2011 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR

Originally Posted by Tartan

That's a great idea! I wonder how big the hole would have to be to not leave a trace and still be able to peel back?

I'm not sure if it's the size or how long tthe heat is applied?

If the problem continues, maybe you could cut two circles - one of the fabric and one of the fusible (removing paper), stack them on the birdhouse, then iron all layers together.
Just an idea - I'd try it on a scrap first.

irishrose 07-24-2011 12:16 PM

Don't overheat or over press the first fusing. Just enough to fuse the paper to the fabric. Cut it out, then push/pull with your fingers at at edge. That should rip the paper without fraying the fabric and you can peel from there. I haven't used the newer ones, but that worked with Wonder Under and both Heat'n bonds.

Scissor Queen 07-24-2011 12:21 PM

I score the center so the paper will tear enough to pull it off from the center out. I also discovered that the longer it's been since they were fused the easier they peel.

amma 07-24-2011 02:04 PM

Wait til the fabric cools completely
Score it in the center of the piece, I use a sewing machine needle, and then lift the edge of the paper with the needle point.
If you score all the way to the edge it can cause fraying. :D:D:D

sweetjessy 07-25-2011 03:13 AM

I use steam a seam just about all the time, but when i do use wonder under, i find that i have to let it cool really good, before i peal off the backing, that has helped me a lot in doing that. When i use steam a seam i dont have that problem.