Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What type of Iron is best? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-type-iron-best-t181990.html)

Kimmers14 03-07-2012 01:23 PM

What type of Iron is best?

I am new to quilting and I don't have alot of money to buy alot of new things ( I would rather buy material) so I have been using the iron I already had at home, it is a pretty cheap lightweight iron. Does the type of iron matter? I would say my iron does an ok job, nothing fantastic. Would spending money on a better iron be benificial? I starting using spray sizing but am thinking about trying starch instead so does the iron really matter? Any thoughts would be appreicated!:)

QuiltingCrazie 03-07-2012 01:29 PM

I bought a German one here that I'm going to miss when I go back to the states. I had a Rowenta in the states and it leaked something awful after I had it for years I read reviews and most people had that problem so don't invest in rowenta. Sorry I couldn't be more help! Someone else will probably have a must buy option.

quiltstringz 03-07-2012 02:15 PM

One of the things that I have seen on known Quilter's websites and also in their lectures is that spending a lot of money on an iron is a waste. They say if you want steam buy a cheap iron and a spray bottle for water. Almost every iron leaks after a while expecially the ones on the market now. I have a Reliable and spent more than I should have, but that was before I saw the other views/comments. I think all you need is an iron that gets hot. Buy one try it and if you don't like it return it for a different one.

Stitchnripper 03-07-2012 02:24 PM

Try using the search feature. We have had many discussions and opinions on what everyone likes/dislikes.

AliKat 03-07-2012 04:20 PM

How about 2 irons and neither of them expensive. A steam iron and an iron that isn't steam. That way only one will ever become incontinent. Add to these a good pressing cloth of sheet and an ironing surface and you are ready to go.

You can get some nice irons at estate sales or thrift shops.

ali

Dolphyngyrl 03-07-2012 04:25 PM

Yes I do think it matters because some don't get hot enough to me. I think the heat to me is the most important. I have used other irons cheaper brands, other than my rowenta, and honestly haven't cared for any of them. I am interested in the oliso's but they get mixed reviews. if you do get a rowenta which are pricey just make sure its a german ones, the mexican and china made ones are the ones that get so many horrible reviews. I'm sure you can find a cheap off brand. I would just look for one that heats up fast if its an automatic shut off, and one that delivers good heat and steam

pinkberrykay 03-07-2012 04:58 PM

I went to our local Habitate for Humanity Restore store and bought a vintage GE iron, Heavy, super super hot and there is no spitting of water. Cost 2 bucks!!!!

MadQuilter 03-07-2012 05:25 PM

I think your iron will be just fine. Mine have been lasting about 2-3 years with heavy use. Now I make sure that the darn thing isn't too heavy and that its reviews are OK. I had one that didn't have automatic shutoff and I became totally paranoid about shutting my iron off. Now I have a Shark with automated shutoff. It may be a little annoying to wait at times but I'd rather that than burn the house down.

sylviak 03-07-2012 08:24 PM

If your present iron is working well, don't waste money on a new one. I moved all my quilting from my house out to my shed and took my old Black and Decker travel iron with me. It has a stainless steel surface, get very hot, and I bought it on Ebay a few years back for under $10. I also use a Black and Decker steam iron in the house for ironing clothing. I recommend using starch, particularly if you pre-wash. I use either Magic Sizing or StaFlo (1part starch and 2 parts water) in a spray bottle. StaFlo is the cheaper way to go.

sylviak 03-07-2012 08:30 PM

If your present iron is working well, don't waste money on a new one. I moved all my quilting from my house out to my shed and took my old Black and Decker travel iron with me. It has a stainless steel surface, get very hot, and I bought it on Ebay a few years back for under $10. I also use a Black and Decker steam iron in the house for ironing clothing. I recommend using starch, particularly if you pre-wash. I use either Magic Sizing or StaFlo (1part starch and 2 parts water) in a spray bottle. StaFlo is the cheaper way to go.