Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What type of iron so you use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-type-iron-so-you-use-t129931.html)

mms61371 06-12-2011 11:18 AM

I've had a rowenta iron for awhile now. Not long after I purchased it (within 9 months) it started leaking water. Well today the water just started steadily dripping out of it. I paid a lot of money for this iron. I can not spend that much on an iron now. So, I was just wondering what type everyone uses and what they like most about it. I told my husband that the best place to ask for advice on this would be the quiliting board. And since my birthday is tomorrow (6/13), he said it would be the perfect present for me. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thank you

donnajean 06-12-2011 11:19 AM

Have you called Rowenta? I have found good customer service & had items replaced or refunded by calling the 800 no.'s & explaining my problem.

dltaylor 06-12-2011 11:20 AM

I use a cheap little mini iron from JoAnn fabrics. Love it!! Never a problem with it, if I have something larger to press I just use the regular large iron. But I find my mini does the job most of the time.

coloradosky 06-12-2011 11:24 AM

There was quite a discussion on this board a short time ago about the Rowenta iron dripping water. I have two irons, one for steam which is a cheap Westinghouse which I have had for years and it never leaks unless I start to iron before the water is hot enough to steam. The instructions prewarns about doing this. Otherwise no problems. The second iron is a very cheap iron I believe I purchased from Walmart for use with fusible bond when appliquing.

bluteddi 06-12-2011 11:35 AM

I have a high priced SHARK that was guarenteed not to leak.. it has leaked since day 1.. I have contacted SHARK and basically got the reply of ..... our irons do not leak, prehaps u have damaged it".... I do not recommend or enjoy the iron or their attitude. I will not be purchasing another of their product.

justwannaquilt 06-12-2011 11:41 AM

Cheapest iron walmart has. It isn't very heavy but it is heavy enough to get the job done without a lot of work from me. lol I know I'm lazy. It also does NOT have an auto shutoff. Oh and the shortest period that one has lasted me is a year with the help of my children/husband and cat knocking it off the ironing board and breaking it in three pieces (it still worked just didn't hold water any more)! but for six or seven bucks it doens't hurt my feelings or pocket book when it does decide to bite the dust!

Have you been using tap water in the iron? If so do you know how hard your water is? Hard water is not good for irons. I would suggest if you have hard water use bottled SPRING water in your iron instead!

Another idea is just don't put water in your iron. If you need a little steam lightly mist the area with a bottle of water. That way you don't have to get rid of the Rowenta, but you also don't have to deal with a leaky iron!

sueisallaboutquilts 06-12-2011 11:43 AM

Wow, bluteddi, that's a bad attitude for sure!
I also had a problem with my Rowenta leaking. I bought a cheap Panasonic which I love and it's been working great for years.

Painiacs 06-12-2011 11:45 AM

Walmart iron! If u have a goodwil they sometimes have irons still in box!! I have 2 , the heavy one in sewingroo m for bigger projects. The light one on DR table for piece work!!

justwannaquilt 06-12-2011 11:46 AM

I would also try to clean it before getting rid of it. Mix equal parts of vinegar and water and put in the reservoir of your iron, hold it so it steams for SEVERAL minutes. drain the water out and fill it back up with clean water, steam for several more minutes. This can be repeated several times.

Kinda like cleaning the coffee pot!

Numa 06-12-2011 11:53 AM

Happy Birthday tomorrow to both of us! I have a Rowenta steam generator and I love it.