Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What type of lightening should I use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-type-lightening-should-i-use-t214080.html)

starr511 02-17-2013 12:47 PM

What type of lightening should I use?

Hi all!
I am setting up a sewing room in the basement of our house. I'd rather have it in a nice natural lighted room, but I also want to be in a room without cats.;) There is florescent lights in the ceiling already. Are there bulbs like an Ott light?
Thanks

Central Ohio Quilter 02-17-2013 12:53 PM

I put track lighting in my sewing room, and I hate it. Where each light shines down, there is great light. But if I move over a foot or two, I have poor light. It is not consistent throughout the room. We spent a good amount of money to put it in, and I hate to replace it. I have an old elbow-type light on top of the set of shelves shining over my cutting table for when I am cutting. That does help.

Tartan 02-17-2013 01:32 PM

I have ordinary 3 light halogen bulbs in my overhead light. It is fine fr general lighting but I keep a floor light I switch on by my cutting board and I have really good led lights in my sewing machine. Get yourself a couple of extra standing or clip on lights for your different areas and the overhead fluorescents should be fine.

Teeler 02-17-2013 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have an overhead ceiling fan with three 'can' lights in it that all point in the WRONG directions! So I opted for this for my "after hours" sewing (natural light during the day):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]395862[/ATTACH]

Jan in VA 02-17-2013 07:42 PM

There are "daylight" (you actually mean "full spectrum") bulbs for florescent fixtures, but they are terribly expensive. On the other hand you can buy bulbs for these fixtures in several different 'values' of lighting -- "cool", "very cool", "daylight", "neutral", etc. at places like Lowes.

Jan in VA

Joset 02-18-2013 05:52 AM

we did the tracking lights too and didnt like it same problem as you. so he brought them down where there
was lots of light and hung them from ceiling really like them now.

charsuewilson 02-18-2013 06:57 AM

For the track lights, use flood lights in them, not spot lights. There are different types of bulbs.

quilter2090 02-18-2013 07:11 AM

You say that you would rather have your sewing room set up in a room with lots of natural light, and I agree, nothing is better than natural light. Instead of putting your sewing room in the basement, why not put your sewing room upstairs in a unused bedroom and just shut the door to keep the cats out. They may not like being shut out, but they will get used to it. Besides, won't the cats just walk down the stairs to the basement anyway?

Teeler 02-18-2013 07:21 AM

Joann's is having a great President's Day sale today...1¢ shipping if you don't wanna go out. Lots of lighting options 40-50% off.

starr511 02-18-2013 01:43 PM

Yes, I actually meant full spectrum. Will check out Lowes to see what they have. Thanks!