Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What type of rotary cutter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-type-rotary-cutter-t262000.html)

crafty-kid 03-01-2015 02:17 PM

What type of rotary cutter?

I will be in the need of a new rotary cutter. What brand or style and size do you like?

JustAbitCrazy 03-01-2015 02:26 PM

I have a Martelli Ergonomic rotary cutter which I hate, only because the wire which should act as a spring for the blade cover will. not. stay. on. Even. for a. single. cut! As a result, the blade is perpetually fully open, and very dangerous. I would love the cutter if they hadn't put in such a cheap, ineffective wire holder. I understand this was changed with their newer cutters. Would like to tell them where they should stick this one. To boot, it was expensive!
Just want you to be aware of this if you consider a Martelli cutter---make sure not to buy one like mine.

crafty-kid 03-01-2015 02:30 PM

Thanks for that! I would not like that...maybe you might be interested in a new cutter too...this might help you out too!

DeneK 03-01-2015 02:49 PM

I LOVE my Martelli cutter and think very highly of the company as well. If you have one of the older ones, they will send you a new one for $7.50. Just contact them. If there is anything defective in any of their products they definitely stand behind them.

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 7110997)
I have a Martelli Ergonomic rotary cutter which I hate, only because the wire which should act as a spring for the blade cover will. not. stay. on. Even. for a. single. cut! As a result, the blade is perpetually fully open, and very dangerous. I would love the cutter if they hadn't put in such a cheap, ineffective wire holder. I understand this was changed with their newer cutters. Would like to tell them where they should stick this one. To boot, it was expensive!
Just want you to be aware of this if you consider a Martelli cutter---make sure not to buy one like mine.

ckcowl 03-01-2015 02:50 PM

I love my Olfa cutters, have them in 4 sizes plus a pinking blade one. I use the 45 mm size most often. The 60 is good for thicker, heavier fabrics... Wools/ flannels. The small sizes are good for using with templates, tight spaces, curves, circles. I have a couple Fiskar cutters which are fine too I just tend to grab my Olfa first.

zozee 03-01-2015 02:54 PM

I like my Fiskars 45 mm for most jobs, and 60mm Olfa for multiple layers. But I find the Olfa blades to be sharper and last longer.

lynnie 03-01-2015 03:07 PM

I have Olfa cutters from when they first came out about 30 yrs ago. I hate to waste money, so I just replace the blades. One day, I'll get a new cutter, but i'm still using the original ones I had.

gale 03-01-2015 03:20 PM

I like my martelli cutters so far. I also like Fiskars. Those are the only two brands I like.

JustAbitCrazy 03-01-2015 03:51 PM

DeneK, thank you for that information. I'll have to contact Martelli.

Jeanne S 03-01-2015 04:05 PM

I love my 45mm Olfa, the one that has the retractable blade for safety. Good ergonomics too.