Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What type and size of needle do you use for quilting with embroidery unit? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-type-size-needle-do-you-use-quilting-embroidery-unit-t245943.html)

Rhonda Lee 04-28-2014 04:04 PM

What type and size of needle do you use for quilting with embroidery unit?

I'm ready to quilt using my machine embroidery unit. The pattern is a light feather combination and my quilt is a scrappy one with lots of seams. Do I use a universal 14 needle for the quilting or a microtex needle because it will be embroidery that I'll actually be doing? I'm planning on using a 50 cotton thread. This is the first time I have decided to use my embroidery unit on my machine to help me. A little intimidated to be truthful. As always thank you so very much for your response to my needs. I don't know where else I could go that would help me any better than this place. I'm so happy that I belong. Thank you again!

nvb50 04-28-2014 04:54 PM

I have a Viking Ruby and do all my quilts in the hoop with embroidery designs. I use all polyester thread with a size 14 quilting needle. You can use cotton thread with no problem, I just don't like all the fuzzy stuff.

Rhonda Lee 04-28-2014 06:06 PM

Thanks nvb50. I've learned needles do make a difference and I was not sure what to use. I'm also glad to hear you do all your quilts in the hoop with embroidery designs. Gives me hope! That was the main reason I got my Ellisimo, but this is the first time I'm using it for quilting in the hoop. I've done a little fmq and a lot of sitd and outlining. I have used the embroidery unit for a lot of other projects except quilting and have really enjoyed it. At first I thought, What have I done! But now I'm so happy that I have my machine. I'm excited to get started with the quilting. Wish me luck!

KwiltyKahy 04-29-2014 06:24 AM

You won't need luck, just have fun. I have quilted on my embroidery machine and love it. Have you picked out your design? Embroidery Library has a great selection of designs.

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee (Post 6695723)
Thanks nvb50. I've learned needles do make a difference and I was not sure what to use. I'm also glad to hear you do all your quilts in the hoop with embroidery designs. Gives me hope! That was the main reason I got my Ellisimo, but this is the first time I'm using it for quilting in the hoop. I've done a little fmq and a lot of sitd and outlining. I have used the embroidery unit for a lot of other projects except quilting and have really enjoyed it. At first I thought, What have I done! But now I'm so happy that I have my machine. I'm excited to get started with the quilting. Wish me luck!

patricej 04-29-2014 06:37 AM

Do a test sandwich first.
use the same top and back fabrics, and batting, that are in your quilt.
you will probably be fine with a size 14 quilting or embroidery needle, but might need to go up to a 16.
the test will tell you what you need without risking the quilt itself. :)

PaperPrincess 04-29-2014 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 6696362)
Do a test sandwich first.
use the same top and back fabrics, and batting, that are in your quilt.
you will probably be fine with a size 14 quilting or embroidery needle, but might need to go up to a 16.
the test will tell you what you need without risking the quilt itself. :)

I totally agree with this. You need to do a test sandwich first, using the same batting and, if possible, the same fabric as your top. Since you said there's lots of seams, I'd actually piece a block to practice on.

Rhonda Lee 04-29-2014 10:47 AM

Kwiltykathy, I hope to have fun with this, I've done a lot of embroidery work, just not used it for quilting. So that's the bit of hesitation on my part. I do have a pattern selected. It's just a loose feather design, nothing heavy.

PatriceJ and PaperPrincess, good advice! I will make a test block and see what happens. It's all the seams that I'm most concerned with and if the the embroidery doesn't work then I guess I'm back to square one with my original plan of outlining and sitd.

Thank you for your responses!