Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to use instead of polyster batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-use-instead-polyster-batting-t1876.html)

NewsletterBot 08-15-2007 04:41 AM

I have been using polyster batting for my quilts, however I understand they will have a problem of 'bearding' over time. I make charity quilts, and wonder what I should use instead for the batting, Do any of you have suggestions for me?.

Thank you,
Babbie

azdesertrat 08-15-2007 04:48 AM

I have been known to use flannel,it keeps you very warm and it handles really well,when quilting.i like it a lot in kids quilts especially,
Kathy

Extreme Quilter 08-15-2007 05:37 AM

Kathy, when you use flannel for the backing, do you use cotton for the backing? Or can you use two layers of flannel -- one for the batting and one for the backing? Hmm. Maybe that's too strange.

patricej 08-15-2007 06:29 AM

that isn't strange at all. sounds to me like a pretty nifty idea. i'll bet the flannels will stick to each other making the whole basting/quilting process easier.

i love it when somebody gives me a new idea. saves a lot of wear and tear on my poor brain. yippee!!! yahoo!!!

:P

Nicholle Reed 08-15-2007 11:06 AM

I myself go to yard sales every weekend & while Im looking I look out for blankets to use instead of batting & sheets sets to use for the backing(sometimes for batting also

Hope This Idea Helps

Nicholle

vicki reno 08-15-2007 11:15 AM

I used to use polyester but lately like the look of the low loft cotton batting. It is warm, but not bulky. I use basting spray and machine quilt. It will draw up a little in the washer and dryer, but I like the look (old timey).

mimisharon 08-15-2007 11:40 AM

I have used double layers of flannel and Lord knows I've used my share of old blankets to layer between quilts. I don't like the fleece because it's to hard to quilt through, but I love multiple layers of flannel. Keeps you warm while working on it, too. :lol:

Sharon

azdesertrat 08-16-2007 04:13 PM

Actually I used only one layer of flannel between the top and back,both cotton and it was really easy to quilt,I didn't baste it I did use a very little basting spray on the corners,but it was the easiest I have ever put a "sandwhich" together,I didn't even tape down the bottom to the table,did everything not the way to do it and both of the quilts I did like that are beautiful on the back,where I always had trouble,bunching up.But I live in the desert southwest and although it does get very cold in the winter(for us anyway) it still keeps very warm.

ruthie 10-03-2007 03:04 PM

My grandmother always used cotton flannel sheets for batting. The quilts were very warm and had a nice drape to them. I use sheets all the time for backing. The size is always right and I don't have any trouble quilting whether machine quilting or hand quilting. Never thought about blankets for batting though. I'm gonna try it. Seems very economical.

Pam Pollock 10-03-2007 03:24 PM

I use Warm & Natural cotton batting. It is a low loft batting & very warm but not too thick & it's easy to quilt. I like to buy it when it's on sale or I can use a coupon. It comes on a bolt or in bags. It comes in a nice wide width when I buy it off of a bolt.