Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to use.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-use-t277553.html)

Nanakerr 04-08-2016 08:02 PM

What to use....

I'm making a chevron table runner. The pattern calls for a stiffener. I didn't really like it after it was done. I stitched in the ditch but it was so flat. There was no puff. Hardly tell it s quilted. Is this what everyone does? Or do you use baton or maybe both. Any suggestions are welcome.

zozee 04-08-2016 08:12 PM

I just used Warm and Natural batting. I did SITD as well, and liked the result. I wanted it flat so that things wouldn't fall over (candlesticks, vases, anything lightweight).

Bree123 04-08-2016 08:18 PM

I used a stiffener the first table runner I made. Hated it. I'm much happier with a regular batting for my runners & placemats. I agree with Zozee that W&N is a good choice. If you decide you want it flatter, you can always add more quilting -- but I used to just SID and it's fine.

Tartan 04-08-2016 08:22 PM

I usually use 80/20 batt in my table runners.

mom-6 04-08-2016 08:26 PM

I cheat. Lol! I use fleece as combination backing/batting. The heavier fleece makes enough poof for my taste while still being nicely level for whatever you put on it. Did not care for the stiff interfacing or for the thin fleece.

ckcowl 04-09-2016 01:41 AM

I made some years ago with warm & natural batting, gifted them to my mom & aunt, they liked the runners, ( looks) but wouldn't use them because items fell over easily. They requested Flat ones. I started using pelted, or just a layer of prewashed flannel. They like them much better flat. So, guess it depends on intended use. If you plan to use them just to lay on a table with nothing on it puffy is ok-- but if you want them on a table glasses, vases, other items will be placed on them flat is a better choice.

Sandygirl 04-09-2016 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 (Post 7518462)
I cheat. Lol! I use fleece as combination backing/batting. The heavier fleece makes enough poof for my taste while still being nicely level for whatever you put on it. Did not care for the stiff interfacing or for the thin fleece.

I use fusible fleece. I don'talways fuse it though. My favorite is Lazy Girls Dreamy Fleece...and it IS dreamy! Love how snow white it is. I have a bolt of it!
sandy

quilterpurpledog 04-09-2016 02:36 AM

I like to use Hobbs 80/20 and STID to secure it. Then I usually do some FMQ to complement the patchwork. I like that combination quite well.

ManiacQuilter2 04-09-2016 03:07 AM

I use Hobbs 80/20 with all my quilting so I usually have scraps that I save for items like table runners.

Geri B 04-09-2016 05:45 AM

I don't use w&n as when it is washed it will pucker...I don't want that look on table runners, so I use thermalon, it's a thin, poly used in quilted garments. Enough loft to show quilting, but stable enough so nothing tips over......