Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What worked for me in speeding up this site (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-worked-me-speeding-up-site-t118906.html)

NanaCsews2 04-26-2011 05:30 AM

I think I finally got this figured out! Weeks of site slow for me. After clicking a post or topic, search, or anything, the page would be blank or 'try' to work. I would have to use the back arrow, then go back into the area I originally clicked on, then click on the post or topic again, and it would finally open after much hesitation. So much back and forth every time I wanted to do anything. I had previously emailed and received reply from admin. but in error I deleted all my messages. Looking for a link to contact someone again, I scrolled to the bottom of the page and saw the word 'OFFLINE'. I clicked it and OMG! it works! I now can go anywhere I want with the speed I had before the site went down for maintenance. If this was a solution, I never saw it in print. Probably because I gave up and got off the board after trying in frustration to get anywhere. I use IE 9, and do not want to change. So I hope this continues to work for me. I do not want to change things on my computer because everything works in every site and program I have on the computer, except this board. If there is a different solution, will someone please share it?

dunster 04-26-2011 05:48 AM

I don't see how that could do anything in terms of speeding up your computer. It's just another topic heading, like Pictures - a place to discuss "offline" activities such as local quilt shows, get-togethers, etc.

But - glad that your system speeded up!

carhop 04-26-2011 07:17 AM

Mine has been doint that and I go to tools and see if it is on off line, I have been having trouble because century link finaly turned embarqmail over to century link.

NanaCsews2 04-26-2011 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
I don't see how that could do anything in terms of speeding up your computer. It's just another topic heading, like Pictures - a place to discuss "offline" activities such as local quilt shows, get-togethers, etc.

To clarify, it didn't speed up my computer, I am already on the fastest speed. It sped up going from topic to page to seeing pictures, etc. here on this board. I don't have problems with anything else other than this site. I don't know why this works, but it does for me. I am enjoying it for as long as it works. Nice to click on 'pictures' and the posts come up. I have clicked off the 'offline' and it goes back to the same issues I had been having. So of course I clicked back on the 'offline'. Can't explain it. Don't know much about this stuff.

cjomomma 04-26-2011 08:13 AM

I just tried this on my iPhone and oh my it did speed up the down load time an awful lot. Thank you for posting this.

SuzanneG 04-26-2011 11:38 AM

Wow, I just tried it and it worked! I don't know why either, I'm just glad it did. The slowness here and all the double clicking necessary to get around was a bit annoying and frustrating. Thanks so much for posting this!! :D :D :D

Dee Dee 04-26-2011 11:41 AM

Thanks for the tips.

KwiltyKahy 04-26-2011 03:44 PM

I've been blaming all that back and forth on my computer!!

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2

Originally Posted by dunster

To clarify, it didn't speed up my computer, I am already on the fastest speed. It sped up going from topic to page to seeing pictures, etc. here on this board. I don't have problems with anything else other than this site. I don't know why this works, but it does for me. I am enjoying it for as long as it works. Nice to click on 'pictures' and the posts come up. I have clicked off the 'offline' and it goes back to the same issues I had been having. So of course I clicked back on the 'offline'. Can't explain it. Don't know much about this stuff.

nativetexan 04-26-2011 04:10 PM

no, not our computers. only problem is on this forum.
but i did click on the word offline and it does seem better now. who knew? not us, that's who!!

peaceandjoy 04-26-2011 04:18 PM

I was soooo hopeful that this would solve this issues I've had w/ this site since the upgrade. But when I click on offline, I just go to the section for off-line topics section - where you can post get-togethers @ quilt shows, etc.

Maybe I'm not looking at the right area? The "offline" I found is @ the bottom of the page (and if I'd looked closer before I tried it, I would have seen that it is in the midst of all of the different sections, but I was so excited I didn't look at them first, just found what I hoped would be the magic bullet and clicked). :(