Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What woud you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-woud-you-do-t25408.html)

Riversong 09-13-2009 08:06 AM

You are in a birthday block swap,and requested a specific block and color preferences. A couple of the blocks are way off and stand out like a sore thumb...they want pictures of the finished top...Im thinking use the off blocks as "matching " pillows??
What would you do??? ( and its not on this forum!! LOL!)

joeyoz 09-13-2009 08:19 AM

Maybe use them on the backing?? :?:

bearisgray 09-13-2009 08:19 AM

That's one of the reasons I tend to avoid swaps - especially with people that I know I'll be interacting with an a face-to-face basis - and that I usually like.

I figure if 8 out of 10 got it right, it's the other two that for whatever reasons misunderstood or chose to ignore what was requested.

I think I'd make "matching" pillow cases to go with the quilt. They take up less storage space than pillows.

One could always say that because of their uniqueness, you didn't want to mix them in with the other blocks. :?

BellaBoo 09-13-2009 08:41 AM

The very thing happened to me a few years ago. I sent backgound fabric and asked that any other fabric be any reds. I got three blocks back that had blues and yellows. When the pictures of the quilts were posted only one person posted she didn't see her block. I pm her and told her that the yellow she picked out was not my requested red and so wouldn't go with the quilt. She responded by saying I should be happy I got a block from her at all as she didn't have money to go buy red fabric. And she wanted an apology from me. I apologized. I said I'm very sorry you are poor. People like that get my mean streak showing. :?

littlehud 09-13-2009 08:56 AM

I guess that is why I like the block exchanges here. They are not really that specific, just the general color guidelines. I have not been disapointed yet. If it was a situation like this, where the receivers got input on what colors they wanted, and I couldn't oblige I would not join. I wouldn't ask for an apology if someone didn't like my block, but I also wouldn't answer with an apology for them been poor. Just my opinion. I would just explain it didn't work in this project and invite them to watch for it in one of my next projects.

HMK 09-13-2009 10:15 AM

Just me, but if the rules did state a certain colour (example red) and someone sent me a different colour than what was in the official rules(example blue) I would not feel obligated to use it in my quilt. May put it in a donation sampler quilt but I would not feel like I was the bad person for not using it - follow the rules or don't participate.

amma 09-13-2009 01:14 PM

I like your idea of making a pillow with them. I would not explain why, I would just do it and post the picture as your quilt and matching pillow(s) :wink:

Roben 09-13-2009 01:48 PM

How about using them to make a storage bag for the quilt? It would still be keeping in with the spirit of the swap, but not actually part of the quilt so being a bit different wouldn't be so bad.

MadQuilter 09-13-2009 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
And she wanted an apology from me.

I am sorry that I included you in the swap would have been another good one.

It is a risk one runs when doing a group project. I find that in general, swaps are like pot lucks. The variety of dishes is often amazing and some things really taste quite yummy - contrary to expectations. However, if someone insists on bringing pickled herring, there is no rule that says you have to eat it.

In other words: If you don't like certain blocks in YOUR quilt top - don't put them in. If you want to make a pillow - fine. If you prefer to gift them to a charitable cause - fine. Life is too short for bad blocks.

Barbm 09-13-2009 02:48 PM

I like that- life is too short for bad blocks.

I did the black & white swap. Got some awesome blocks- some had floral, some had animals. So it set into different piles. I even had safety pins- i put that with a fat quarter I have with sewing machines on it. It will be saved for something special for me.

So, just use them for different purposes.