Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would be something to use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-something-use-t313447.html)

meyert 12-11-2020 04:34 PM

What would be something to use

I have a problem, and I think someone here may have a solution

Whenever I go to sew a the quilt shop my back gets to hurting really bad. At home I never have this problem

I am thinking that maybe I am hunching down - like the table height is too low

I was thinking about a table riser - like what people use for computer monitors

Do you guys think that would work? Or do you guys have any suggestion

Thanks

PKGranny 12-11-2020 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by meyert (Post 8441974)
I have a problem, and I think someone here may have a solution

Whenever I go to sew a the quilt shop my back gets to hurting really bad. At home I never have this problem

I am thinking that maybe I am hunching down - like the table height is too low

I was thinking about a table riser - like what people use for computer monitors

Do you guys think that would work? Or do you guys have any suggestion

Thanks

At home I have cut PVC pipes the slip the legs of table into to raise my cutting table. If the legs on the shop table are straight, you could try that. Mine are 9" tall, but I would think much smaller would be for a machine table.

pocoellie 12-11-2020 05:04 PM

I think the risers would make it too high, I think Granny's suggestion of cutting pvc pieces would be a better way.

Tartan 12-11-2020 05:13 PM

Measure your table set up at home and compare it to the shop.

ibex94 12-11-2020 05:18 PM

You may need to take a cushion to the shop to change the angle that you're sitting. If they have a chair that rises and falls, perhaps you can find a perfect height to sit that way? Good luck!

abc123xyz 12-11-2020 05:19 PM

I have a set of bed risers that I put under a table that I wanted to raise to make a cutting table of convenient height. It works perfectly and is stable and sturdy. I am so happy with this arrangement. If you need about six inches this might solve your problem.

quiltingshorttimer 12-11-2020 06:20 PM

what kind of chairs are used at the LQS? If they are adjustable you could raise it so your elbows are at right angles when you are in a sewing position. And if your feet don't rest flat on the floor you can take a box (maybe plastic that you can keep supplies in) to set your feet on. I find that to get the right angle on the arms I almost have to have a lower table.

QuiltE 12-11-2020 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8441979)
Measure your table set up at home and compare it to the shop.

Exactly ....... and your chair too.

junegerbracht 12-12-2020 04:14 AM

Several of us had that problem when sewing at a town quilting class - solved it by stacking two chairs together. Worked well but depends on type of chairs and whether or not there are enough chairs.

ka9sdn 12-12-2020 04:43 AM

Is the problem the table/chair ratio or do you tense up while sewing at the shop and at home you are relaxed. You may not be aware that you are doing this and after awhile it hits you. All of the ladies ideas would be helpful. I know those 6 ft. long tables sometimes are just not great for long sewing sessions.