Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you add to a memory quilt. Tips and tricks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-add-memory-quilt-tips-tricks-t214598.html)

quiltingfan 02-23-2013 05:55 AM

What would you add to a memory quilt. Tips and tricks?

I have a daughter that is turning 20 this year. She has had a very rough teen years and I was thinking that I would love to make her a memory quilt of all her accomplishments and activities that she has had through that last 2o years. Here are my ideas ;

1. Baby picture
2. Living in Hawaii
3. She was on the swimming team
4. volleyball team
5. 2 High Schools
6. Photography
7. Journalism
8. Pics of her best friends
9. Pic of her and her boyfriend.. ( not to happy about this one but )
10. A Bible verse.

Of course I have never done anything like this before. So would love your input on how to accomplish this.

I think I will start with the pics and go from there. Her birthday is not till June so i should have time to make it. I want it to be a completely surprise. Maybe i do need an embroider machine.

alleyoop1 02-23-2013 05:57 AM

Sounds like it will be wonderful and she will truly love it.

quiltingfan 02-23-2013 06:03 AM

She loves my quilts.. I can't wait to see her reaction. Hope I can keep it a secret. hahaha

humbird 02-23-2013 06:11 AM

Sounds lovely. Maybe a photo of Mom and Dad also. Or a family photo?

quilts4charity 02-23-2013 06:11 AM

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan going, I think it will be wonderful. I love my embroidery machine for adding to my quilts!!!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-23-2013 06:14 AM

I'm not sure I'd include the boyfriend. At 20 (as is my daughter), he may be gone before the quilt is finished. I'd save him for the (bite my tongue) wedding quilt.

Does she read? Something with a favorite childhood book might be nice.
Maybe a silly phrase she said as a child.
Grandparents?

The list is really endless when you get started thinking about it. This could be a really fun quilt to make.

quiltingfan 02-23-2013 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 5882073)
I'm not sure I'd include the boyfriend. At 20 (as is my daughter), he may be gone before the quilt is finished. I'd save him for the (bite my tongue) wedding quilt.

Does she read? Something with a favorite childhood book might be nice.
Maybe a silly phrase she said as a child.
Grandparents?

The list is really endless when you get started thinking about it. This could be a really fun quilt to make.

Yea the boyfriend is a big if... they are already talking marriage, even though he does not have a job, does not drive, has no motivation and we would love for him to take a hike.

i like the idea of a picture of the family. Did not even think about it. .. ha. Will add it to my list.

Barb_MO 02-23-2013 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan (Post 5882110)
Yea the boyfriend is a big if... they are already talking marriage, even though he does not have a job, does not drive, has no motivation and we would love for him to take a hike.

i like the idea of a picture of the family. Did not even think about it. .. ha. Will add it to my list.

Then I would put a pair of hiking boots on it....just kidding.
you could add something to remind her of her favorite music, movie, or a piece of favorite clothing.

Phannie1 02-23-2013 06:40 AM

If she has any year books. Maybe add copies of friends pictures, autographes and the like on fabric you can use in injet printers. I did a quilt for my son and had him get his friends to sign blocks with notes to him so I could include them in his quilt.

gabeway 02-23-2013 07:14 AM

Agree with al but boyfriend. She will keep the quilt forever and the boyfriend will probably be gone and maybe a bad memory. Go with friends or groups.