Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do if you made a quilt you hate? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-if-you-made-quilt-you-hate-t27212.html)

weezie 10-17-2009 07:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The quilt I've spent the most money and time on is the only one I've made that I just hate. (Please see picture below.) I despise the look of it; I despise working on it. It's been a monster to put together. It's not completed. To complete it will take hours and hours (months) of hand work and I'm loathe to put more time and effort into it. On the other hand, I'm sort of compelled to finish things that I start, so I don't know what to do. I know what to do with the quilt if I decide not to finish it. If you've "been there, done that" please tell me what you did. Thanks.

weezie 10-17-2009 07:39 AM

Correction: I meant to say that I don't know what to do with the quilt if I decide not to finish it.

Esqmommy 10-17-2009 07:41 AM

It's a fabulous quilt...perhaps you have been frustrated with it, but I imagine it will grow on you...put it away for a while, and do something fun to lighten your mood about quilting...then come back to it.

granny216 10-17-2009 07:42 AM

I like it. Why not have it machine quilted and if you dislike it so much give it to someone for a gift or just gift the top to someone. I've never made a quilt I didn't like and so many people are happy about it. But I really like yours. :lol:

amma 10-17-2009 07:51 AM

I think that your quilt is beautiful!!! Like was mentioned...put it away for a while...and when you bring it back out, you may have a different feeling about it :wink:

nellebelles 10-17-2009 07:59 AM

I have been in that same place before--I started out with a pattern and fabric that I loved but as the quilt progressed, I ended up hating it. So what happened? Well, for me, it was that I'd spent so much time working on it and for the most part, working on it at a very stressful time in my life. I decided to put it away (which I did, for a number of YEARS...). I got it back out, still with much to do on it. I, too, feel compelled to finish a project that I start. To make a long story short, I did finish the quilt, and once again, I love the fabric and the pattern, and look back on the "process" and am proud of myself for sticking with it. So, my advice to you, which has already been given and which I second, is to put it away for awhile, take it out and finish it. I believe you will be proud of yourself for having done so.
Another thing you might want to do, is analyze why you hate it. Did you always hate it? Are you doing this for someone else? Do you hate the quilt because it is easier to hate it, than something else going on in your life at this time? If you can figure out why you hate this quilt, you might be able to figure out a way to NOT hate this quilt.

Bill'sBonBon 10-17-2009 08:01 AM

Hi Weezie, I know how you feel,it takes so long todo them sometimes. I had the same problem with my Attic Window Quilt a biggie. It took exactly one year to finish it. But I did mine by machine, not hand so I know it will take longer to finish.
You have a magnificent quilt. from the looks of it a Master Job. I love the colors. I am also like you on the compeled to finish something I have started. I think you need to finish it and I believe you will eventually get to love this quilt. Beautiful.
BillsBonBon

billswife99 10-17-2009 08:02 AM

Were you making this one for you? I have learned even if you don't like it, somebody will fall in love with it and think it's the greatest gift they ever received. So hang in there and finish it. Somebody will be so happy you did!

Shelley 10-17-2009 08:29 AM

Get it machine quilted. A quilt top changes personality once quilted. You may decide then that you love it. Make sure that you let the quilter know what's bothering you. She may be able to minimize it. We aren't miracle workers, but sometimes ***magic*** can be done!

RedGarnet222 10-17-2009 08:43 AM

I feel your pain ... But perhaps another opinion might help you to see it in fresh eyes. Now listen up!

This is a beauty of a quilt. You have done such a wonderful job on piecing it. The hours of work show care and experise! If you are discouraged with it taking so long, take heart. You are doing a wonderful job on something that could end up a family heirloom.