Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do re machine repair? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-re-machine-repair-t281232.html)

Raggiemom 08-11-2016 08:52 AM

If the machine only cost me $400 to begin with, I probably wouldn't even pay the $129 to service it but would have looked at another machine right away if I could afford to. I had a machine I paid about $400 and I didn't service it since the service was $100. I used it until it didn't work any longer which was a lot of use! I cleaned and oiled it myself. But if it's a machine you really love and has sentimental value, it's harder to place a monetary value on it.

Lady Diana 08-12-2016 03:37 AM

If I paid $400, and the look see was quoted at $129 without fixing, I would have taken it home.....you would be better to apply that towards a new machine, since you have really gotten your value out of your machine over the years...I would call them and ask them to not do the check up...if they haven't done so..tell them you are looking for a new machine.

lclang 08-12-2016 04:07 AM

Is there another repait person anywhere near? If so, compare prices and see if they would be less expensive.

lovelyl 08-12-2016 04:16 AM

It sounds like what happened to me - my motherboard had to be replaced. It cost me, at the time, $85 to look at it and $120 for the new board. Looked at my warrenty and the board had a 5 year warrenty. I had owned the machine for 4 years and 11 month, so they replaced it free. Check your warrenty!

momsbusy 08-12-2016 04:49 AM

How much do you love it? Do you have a large investment in accessories like feet or a trolley case? I would probably look for another repair person. If they won't even take 5 minutes to give you an estimate for free, I would not be happy. If a major part has gone bad and it is not covered by your warranty, it could cost more than what you paid. If it is something minor, it could cost less than $150.

Judylee2 08-12-2016 05:05 AM

Look at other machines in that price range, do they have what you like about your machine? I am such a creature of habit, I make friends with my machine and have a comfort level with her. I would pay to repair her and then start looking for another machine of her equal abillity or higher. I would budget for what I really wanted and keep this one, too!

slbram17 08-12-2016 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface (Post 7624398)
My 4 year old Viking Emerald 118 recently stopped working...no power no sound nada. I paid less than $400 and it has served me quite well as a work horse- piecing and quilting everything from coasters to a king size quilt and everything in between.
I dropped it off to have it repaired - just to have someone look at it will cost $129. Now waiting to hear what is wrong and the price to repair. If this was your machine what would be you max price for repairs knowing that you already need to pay $129 before buying another machine? i appreciate hearing your advice. Thank-you!

I am not always that practical when it comes to finances. So if I loved the machine and its features, I might well make an irrational decision and have it repaired. Usually the repair shop will tell you when it is not worth it (sometimes even when the customer would rather have it repaired anyway). Maybe it will not be that bad to have it fixed.

You could have it fixed and keep as a backup machine.

tessagin 08-12-2016 06:01 AM

I would see how much more the cost of a repair would be and how much you really enjoy working on it. If you're ready to move on then do.

zozee 08-12-2016 06:16 AM

Sounds like you've just about talked yourself into buying a new machine. As much as you sew, and you've clearly driven this one into ground with pleasure, I'd say go look for a new one. I think $129 is ridiculous for a mere diagnosis. My repair guy charges 20, and will credit it toward the repair. The heart of your machine has stopped beating.

If the motor were still strong, I'd pay up to 100 total to repair a $400 machine. I am with notmorecraft on the cost breakdown for using it. $2 a week plus a boatload of enjoyment. I would go shopping if it were me.

purplefiend 08-12-2016 07:14 AM

My Pfaff dealer charges $100 for routine servicing, 6 weeks turn around time. I'm so happy I have more than 1 machine.