Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-t168400.html)

chiaraquilts 11-15-2011 03:13 PM

What would you do?

My daughter inherited a Singer 4530 from her MIL, it seems to work ok, but has only one basic foot. She is really getting into sewing and would like a zipper foot, walking foot, etc, to be able to do more. She is on a super tight budget so I thought it would be a good Christmas thing to do. So, my question is, does it make sense to spend money on accessories for this machine or would it make more sense to buy a better but basic machine that has all the feet, etc.? From what I have read, Singer's of this age are not very reliable, and I would hate to have it stop working after buying a bunch of stuff for it...any thoughts? I could spend about 400 dollars for a new machine.

dakotamaid 11-15-2011 03:22 PM

Ppersonally I would go with a newer machine with all the various feet. Brother is an excellent brand that is very reasonable.

dglvr 11-15-2011 03:25 PM

Yeah I'd have to go with Dakotamaid on that one.

Phannie1 11-15-2011 03:26 PM

How attached is she to this machine? It would make sence to buy a new machine. I did in July and was so surprised at all the new things that are on machines today that was not on my old machine.:)

Alex J 11-15-2011 03:27 PM

I brought my DGD very nice Brother through HSN and it has more sticthes and feets than my own brothers and I spent less than $400. But I would not tell MIL

alfosa421 11-15-2011 03:51 PM

I would go for a new one with as many bells and whistles as she can handle and keep the MIL machine for basic assembly and backup-Good luck

joyce blint 11-15-2011 03:55 PM

I would keep in mind that the MIL gave her the one she now has. Wouldn't want to cause bad feelings in the family.

Lori S 11-15-2011 04:05 PM

I would not want to be in your shoes. A new machine would be nice , but the MIL factor .... Maybe wait a few more months to see how the machine she got from her MIL is holding up.

ckcowl 11-15-2011 04:14 PM

i would actually talk to her about it---is she really attached to the machine? she may not have any interest in a new machine-
also---would her mother in law be hurt- maybe not-
if you do go for a new machine tell her she should still hold on to the older one- you just never know when you might need a back up-
i have been on both sides of this---actually all 3 sides of this- my mil gave me an old machine years ago when i was sewing my kids clothes by hand- later that year my mother sent me a newer machine- i stuck the older machine in a closet- another year or so went by i got my sister sewing-on the old machine- that old (machine from mil passed around between family members for 20 years- then i gave it to my daughter when she turned 21- and had her own daughter to sew for- then her mil gave her a much nicer new machine a year or so later- one of my neices kids are now using the old-old machine-it is still in the family---we just pass machines around to whom ever needs one at the time- there are no hard feelings- as we could get better ones we did- no one ever expected us to keep on using the old one- the old one was one to keep us sewing until we could get a better one. i can think of 4 different machines over 20 years old that are still being used by siblings, kids, grandkids, neices/nephews- they are excited to get the machine- and as soon as they get a new one they either put the old one away-or pass it on until someone else needs it.

LivelyLady 11-15-2011 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid (Post 4683662)
Ppersonally I would go with a newer machine with all the various feet. Brother is an excellent brand that is very reasonable.

Good advice.