Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-t193460.html)

bearisgray 07-03-2012 11:04 AM

I like the idea of couch/lap quilts.

LadyElisabeth 07-03-2012 12:37 PM

I've made a wall hanging and included blocks where quests at the celebration can write their names and/or comments

NanaCsews2 07-03-2012 12:48 PM

I have made a queen quilt for a king sized bed. When there is a bed skirt on the bed, it is okay if the quilt only goes just past the top mattress, because the skirt takes over the rest of the sides of the bed. If you made a queen size, I am willing to bet your friend will find a great use for it, even if they don't use it on the bed.
That said, a quilted throw or lap quits for both are a fantastic idea!

burchquilts 07-03-2012 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat (Post 5335594)
The coordinated lap quilts would be a wonderful gift. I do not make the same gifts for my family and friends, but just try to put the same amount of time and love into each gift.

Those are my feelings also. I think lap quilts would be great gifts (I know I'd be thrilled to get one as would my DH). Pictures when you're done please!!!

tjradj 07-03-2012 03:38 PM

Your friends are very lucky to have a friend like you. If you really want to make a King sized quilt, why not consider making it in two halves that zip together? Extra long, separating zippers are available online.

mucky 07-03-2012 03:45 PM

Great idea to make 2 lap quilts.

Silver Needle 07-03-2012 08:15 PM

Go for the his and hers lap quilts so you can enjoy the process.

justflyingin 07-03-2012 08:36 PM

I think his and hers lap quilts are a great idea simply for the reason as one mentioned--a bed quilt is a personal decision and unless you actually KNOW That they want what you are going to give them, you may be doing a lot of work for a quilt they don't appreciate.

Side note:

I've actually read that giving gifts of a "decorative" nature is often asking for disaster as many times we don't have the same tastes as the receiver of the gifts. The author of the article said that as she looked around her house the things she really didn't like that were in the house, were all gifts. She felt like she had to use them because they were gifts, usually from family, but they weren't her style. This article was "before blogs"--in a magazine somewhere. Ever since then, I've thought about that and realized it is true. Often people give what THEY like, but not necessarily what the recipient loves.

My vote is for the lap quilts, anyway, esp. if the men's lap quilt is "masculine looking".

rrhaigh 07-03-2012 09:00 PM

I think your idea of lap quilts for the other couple is perfect. I would be delighted if I were them!!!

TeresaS 07-03-2012 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5335168)
you might also consider doing the king as a Quilt As You Go. But I also like the idea of the coordinated lap quilts :thumbup:

Great Idea