Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-t259239.html)

Vistacruise 01-06-2015 07:43 AM

I am so shocked by the idea that the fabric isn't girlie simply because it is a sports team, and the nasty/negative way that is stated by some folks in this thread. I love the Pittsburgh Penguins and I would love to have a baby quilt made with it. The things I make for myself related to the team have a lot of the gold and white. Tossing in some grey is a great idea as well. I would use the sport fabric for the backing of the quilt and do a nice "pattern of choice" for the top.

susie-susie-susie 01-06-2015 08:19 AM

I'm thinking that they gave you an impossible job. Maybe a golden brown teddy bear here and there on the quilt with colorful bows or skirts. If you don't appliqué, maybe you can find a paper pieced teddy bear to make blocks out of. If you add bright colors to those fabrics it might be more appealing. IMHO, those colors are not very inspiring. Love to see the quilt you finally make.
Sue

Sandi 01-06-2015 08:34 AM

How old is the grand-daughter? Maybe you could ask her whst she would like with this material-
Glad you asked for help- I'm a bit stumped too

tessagin 01-06-2015 08:53 AM

I would totally forget about any pink. If grandma wants a rag quilt then just do that. BUT I would use the light blue gray color and some white to make a pleated ruffle on the edge. White as the sashing. It's pretty busy material so it needs to be tamed. You could also make a fringe border. Just forget the pink. White would make it pop and bring in the "girly factor". Stick with the colors on the selvage edges on the fabrics.

sprice 01-06-2015 10:38 AM

wow, this is a challenge. I like the idea of a blue ruffle around the edge.

Neesie 01-06-2015 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Vistacruise (Post 7036151)
I am so shocked by the idea that the fabric isn't girlie simply because it is a sports team, and the nasty/negative way that is stated by some folks in this thread. ...

What the heck?!? No one has been nasty! The original request was for the OP to make something 'girly' out of those fabrics. The term 'girly' usually means markedly feminine, as opposed to masculine or uni-sex. No one bad-mouthed the team or the fabric, only the notion that it could somehow be made markedly feminine! Either of the fabrics could certainly be used and enjoyed by either gender . . . BUT it is what it is.

just janet 01-06-2015 11:36 AM

I would use a white on white fabric if you want to add a third and I'd edge it with white eyelet in place of binding.

just janet 01-06-2015 11:38 AM

If you want to add a third fabric I would use a white on white and I'd edge the quilt with white eyelet.

just janet 01-06-2015 11:42 AM

If you want to add a third fabric, I'd use white on white and I'd edge it in white eyelet.

just janet 01-06-2015 11:43 AM

Sorry, don't know how that reply was posted three times!!!