Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-t279848.html)

PurplePassion 06-22-2016 12:39 PM

What would you do?

I made a throw size quilt for my niece last winter. She lives in TX, I like her and we message each other a lot. Her mother, my sister in law; went to visit her and saw the quilt I made. She had told her daughter she really liked it and was threatening to steal it when she went home. This sister in law lives in NV, is 10 years older than me and has barely said 3 words to me in the past years, and I haven't heard from her in many , many years. She sent me a message saying that the quilt was beautiful, and could I make her a quilt. I had no plans on making her one , but then my niece messaged me and said her mom would really love a quilt and told me the colors she likes. Sis made no mention of paying me for making it, or postage or anything. Well I have the quilt top done and need to take it to a LArm to get quilted. I used fabric I had for the top but had to buy the backing , batting and pay for quilting. So should I send her the quilt with a bill, or just send it with my blessings ? I doubt that she will offer any money. I made the quilt for my niece because I wanted to, but it is hard making one for someone you don't care for.

ManiacQuilter2 06-22-2016 12:47 PM

That is a no win situation. Being a Christian, I usually think if Jesus was here what would he say??

Jeanne S 06-22-2016 12:51 PM

You have already spent the time and effort to make the top, so if it was me, I would get it finished and send it on. Like you said, you are really doing it for your niece, who hopefully will get it anyway eventually after her Mother is gone. Never hurts to take the high road.

Maggie_Sue 06-22-2016 12:54 PM

I guess I would take the low road if you please. Send a bill with the quilt. The worst that could happen is she will not speak to you, which is what she had been doing...

Jgal 06-22-2016 12:58 PM

Remember you are doing this for your niece. Just send it on and maybe you will get a thank you in return. Maybe even a change in attitude from SIL. You have done a good thing.

dunster 06-22-2016 01:00 PM

I would have told her that I would add her name to the list of people who want a quilt, but it's a long list. Or tell her that you can't really afford to make a quilt for everyone who wants one, so if she would like to pay for the quilting and supplies it will be $X. I would not send a bill to anyone who is not expecting one.

NJ Quilter 06-22-2016 01:03 PM

I'd say, if you can afford it, just send it on with your good wishes. You already know you won't get paid if you send a bill, so why bother. It is only going to create hard feelings from a) the SIL and perhaps b) the niece with whom you have a loving relationship. I doubt you would want to jeopardize that relationship. Again, if you can afford it, chalk the expense up to just being one of the good guys and let it go.

If finances are particularly tight, you could always include a nice note saying that it would help your situation with a contribution to the cost of X dollars spent in completing the quilt vs an actual bill.

Shelbie 06-22-2016 01:10 PM

Send the quilt with your blessings knowing that you have taken the high road and try and focus on any of the good times you once had with your sister. Perhaps your quilt will be the start of a better relationship between the two of you. I'm sure that your niece will appreciate your thoughtfulness.

jjs56 06-22-2016 01:14 PM

How about quilting it yourself in a cross hatch pattern and saving the money on having it quilted.

Onebyone 06-22-2016 01:15 PM

My first reaction would be to have said, Join the club, everyone wants a quilt. And then laughed it off and changed the subject. But since you felt obligated to make one I would send it to her but be prepared to get more requests. Many think they are doing a quilter a favor by asking for a quilt. You need to put your feelings first when it comes to being cornered.