Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-t92845.html)

quiltin chris 01-22-2011 02:15 PM

I received my order from Keepsake Quilting. I ordered what their catalog said was 50 weight-3ply thread.
What I got was 30 weight thread machine quilting and craft thread. That's what it says on the thread label.

Can I machine piece with 30 weight thread? What difference will it make--good or bad?

I feel like sending it back but don't want to spend the $ for returning--it was their error or mirepresented in their catalog.

Chris

amma 01-22-2011 02:21 PM

30wt is too heavy for machine piecing. It is more for a decorative stitch, or for seams like in jeans :D:D:D

Lori S 01-22-2011 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by amma
30wt is too heavy for machine piecing. It is more for a decorative stitch, or for seams like in jeans :D:D:D

I agree , If it was me I would first start with a phone call.

ewecansew 01-22-2011 02:23 PM

30 wt thread is not meant for piecing. I think it would take up space in your seam allowance and then your 1/4 inch seam will be off, making your block off as well. I would call or email them and explain. I think they would make it right and send you the right spool.

ghostrider 01-22-2011 02:29 PM

Call them and talk to them about it. They may offer to just send the correct thread and let you keep what you have. They are the only place I know that has a lifetime unlimited refund/replacement guarantee on everything the sell..."no quibbling, no delay, no problem".

And to answer your question, yes, I piece with 30wt thread all the time, but most people don't like to since it is thicker than they prefer.

Lady Crafter 01-22-2011 02:30 PM

Call them.

smitty 01-22-2011 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by quiltin chris
I received my order from Keepsake Quilting. I ordered what their catalog said was 50 weight-3ply thread.
What I got was 30 weight thread machine quilting and craft thread. That's what it says on the thread label.

Can I machine piece with 30 weight thread? What difference will it make--good or bad?

I feel like sending it back but don't want to spend the $ for returning--it was their error or mirepresented in their catalog.

Chris

Just give them a call. they will probably send the right thread & let you keep the wrong stuff. 30wt is good for buttonhole stitch, applique', etc.

quiltin chris 01-22-2011 02:33 PM

Thank you all so much for your advice. I really thought that 30 weight would be too heavy.I just needed to hear it from someone else.

I will give them a call.

Chris

Jan in VA 01-22-2011 02:37 PM

If this was mett;ler or Gutterman thread it's an easy mistake to make, to pick up the wrong weight. The spools are quite similar. As it was an error on their part, just call or email them and I'm certain they'll send another spool immediately, probably without taking the old one back. It almost costs more for them to pay shipping it back again than it's worth.

No biggie, just an inconvenience.

Jan in VA

Quiltforme 01-22-2011 02:39 PM

Call or email them they will help you out.