Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do with this top? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-top-t180927.html)

sew_itnow 02-29-2012 03:45 AM

Take the yellow off and add smaller borders of colors more in tune with the stars, then if you still don't like it pass it on to someone who does.

whatever 02-29-2012 06:27 AM

Maybe make the mustard color 1/2 wide and add anoter border color that s in the blocks. A newbie at this so its just what I would do...........

Barb1949 02-29-2012 06:47 AM

I agree get out the seam ripper get the top the way you want it. You wont be sorry and will be happy you were able to salvage a lot of work that went into it.

sewNso 02-29-2012 07:09 AM

i've noticed that setting blocks on point really dresses up a few blocks when every other block is plain.

joym 02-29-2012 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis (Post 5013978)
If you don't want to take it apart, donate it.

I agree. Can you cut it in half and finish it off, making two lap quilts...then donate them to a senior center, nursing, home or Project Linus? Someone would appreciate it.

BarbaraSue 02-29-2012 08:09 AM

Follow your instincts. Look through your stash and see if you have a print or prints that would help bring everything together. then modify the quilt with the print. By modify, I mean if you really don't like to rip out, cut down the big plain strips of the white and gold to be like a sashing of maybe two inches, and put the print(s) in between. If you have more than one print that will work and you like how they play off each other and the stars, use them alternately or choose one print to switch out the white and the other to switch out the gold. this would give it a scrappy look like the stars.
Good Luck! you can do it and make it pretty. I know it.

jgriinke 02-29-2012 08:20 AM

How about tea dying it? Would that tone down the colors you don't like? Finish it and then donate it. Some one would love it. That would make a great Hospice quilt. Or, if it's really big, is there a way to divide it into 2 quilts? Then you could donate 2 quilts!

Annaquilts 02-29-2012 08:31 AM

I like it the way it is and would just finnish it, stiple and use it for a beautiful quilt to take along and picnic etc. Yes, dated with the mustard and fabrics but that all adds to it. Maybe I would tea dye it after it wa finnished to add to the nostalgic look. I would even use mountain mist or other fluffy polly batting to make it look 70ies done.

w7sue 02-29-2012 08:56 AM

My solution for quilts I have fallen out of love with is to finish it up and donate it - as a new longarm owner, I have been taking in charity quilts to do as practice. I get better with each one and the charity gets free longarm services for now. I have also donated partially finished quilts to this same group of ladies at a community center - someone there falls in love with it and finishes it (either for themselves or the charity). I don't really care where it ends up as long as it is out of my life -- I recently donated a Christmas tree skirt that just needed the binding finished - not sure who will be enjoying this, but I didn't need it since my son gave me one as a gift and I had to keep his (I also like it a lot). Life is too short and there are a lot of quilts I want to make to keep something that is just "hanging over my head".

w7sue 02-29-2012 08:59 AM

I signed up for a class to make a scrappy quilt - we all shared the pieces we had pre-cut. Needless to say all the cuts were not equal! There were a lot of chances for the quilt not to come together quite right. When the quilt was all done, I really didn't like it. I took it to our local quilt shop and was talking to one of the ladies there and she thought it was "beautiful". Boy, did I make her day when I just gave it to her. She still talks about it. She put a back on it and quilted it and donated it to her church for an auction - it earned over $150!