Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would YOU spend your money on... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-spend-your-money-t197293.html)

nygal 08-11-2012 08:34 AM

I have an every day sewing machine with decorative stitches and I have an embroidery machine which I LOVE. I also recently bought a quilting machine. I considered adding a serger to my studio but after reading on here and buying a book on serging. I realized I would not have much use for one.

patchsamkim 08-11-2012 08:37 AM

Unless you know you are REALLY going to use one, I say to just stick with your sewing machines. I have both a serger, and embroidery unit for my machine which are next to new. The serger I used for a jeans jacket, but never have made another, it sits unused. And the embroidery unit I only used in the class I took on how to use it...which was years ago, and I haven't used it. Maybe if I had girls instead of boys I could use it on clothes? I guess I got deals on both of them and THOUGHT I would use them, but my preference really is quilting...and just don't do other sewing. Maybe someday?? I keep thinking I should just sell them.

joyce blint 08-11-2012 09:09 AM

I've never had a serger, but have 2 embroidery machines and wouldn't trade them for anything!

Neesie 08-11-2012 09:44 AM

I'd go for the embroidery machine. A regular machine can finish seams (maybe not as quickly but it can still be done) but cannot do the fancy embroidery patterns.

Nanamoms 08-11-2012 09:50 AM

I may be a little biased as I have an embroidery machine and I sold my serger. I don't make enough apparel right now for the serger and I use my embroidery machine at least once a month. If I have a large project to do, I will use it several days in a row. JMHO!!

Jim's Gem 08-11-2012 10:05 AM

I don't sew clothes any more. I really wanted a serger at one time. Now I'm glad that I didn't. I have embroider capabilities on my machine but then I can sew when it's embroidering. I personally would go for an embroidery machine. I would too, it I got more into the embroidery stuff.

MadQuilter 08-11-2012 10:10 AM

I had a serger and never enjoyed using it so I gifted it to my DH's sister. Then I thought about getting an embroidery machine and realized that I would not like watching the embroidery machine do its thing. I would still need a second machine for sewing. In the end, I acknowledged that I don't really like embroidery so I got the best sewing machine I could afford. Recently I added a sit-down quilting machine to complete the package. One thing I heard my SIL complain about her embroidery machine which is not top of the line either. She says that she can only use one thread color at a time and she finds that annoying. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Sunnye 08-11-2012 10:34 AM

Thank you all for your thoughts.
I think as I was posting my query, I was also answering my own question. I do not sew clothes, so if/when I buy it will be an embroidry machine. Now to research those! I went to a demo for the newest Pfaff machine but who can afford that?!!!!! And Brother has too many Disney designs for me.
Oh well, something else to occupy my thoughts!

Sunnye 08-11-2012 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 5433691)
I had a serger and never enjoyed using it so I gifted it to my DH's sister. Then I thought about getting an embroidery machine and realized that I would not like watching the embroidery machine do its thing. I would still need a second machine for sewing. In the end, I acknowledged that I don't really like embroidery so I got the best sewing machine I could afford. Recently I added a sit-down quilting machine to complete the package. One thing I heard my SIL complain about her embroidery machine which is not top of the line either. She says that she can only use one thread color at a time and she finds that annoying. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

That was a lot of help, MadQuilter; thank you.

Judi in Ohio 08-11-2012 12:11 PM

You can do both. Sergers don't have to be expensive and I'd vote for a Juki. On the other hand I wouldn't be without an embroidery machine. The quilts you can do.