Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you want in an app to track expenses for quilts you sell? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-want-app-track-expenses-quilts-you-sell-t226699.html)

cindi 07-28-2013 04:44 AM

What would you want in an app to track expenses for quilts you sell?

I recently downloaded the app "Project Quilt". It's a nice app where you can track your expenses for each quilt you make. You can see it here http://komakode.com/ , just click on "Project Quilt" to see what it can do.

I emailed the developer about adding labor costs to it, as this would make it a perfect sales receipt, or even for those of us who just want to see what we're "giving away" when we gift a quilt to someone. The developer, Karl, and I have been emailing back and forth with ideas to add to make the app sales-applicable, as he hadn't considered this aspect. I told him I'd pose the questions here, to get opinions from actual quilters as to what they want. Here are the questions:

If you were looking for the perfect app to track your expenses and time, what would you want to see? What would you want included?

As far as tracking time, would you want just a single spot to put in your total time, or would you want to be able to track the time for each day? I thought adding a spot for what you did during that time (i.e. setup, piecing, quilting) might be nice, as most non-quilters don't realize the time it actually takes to do these things.

What else would you like to see? A timeclock? The app as-is only allows one picture per quilt. Would you want to be able to add more, i.e. progress pictures?

Karl is VERY interested in updating this app with things that aren't available in any other app. Your ideas would help him create exactly what WE want, not what non-quilters think we want. Be specific. Fire away with your ideas!!

PS: I am in no way connected to this app. I just like it and would like to see it more "quilter-friendly"!

nanna-up-north 07-28-2013 04:51 AM

I think it's very nice that you are helping design such a useful app for quilters. But, I'm not so sure I want to know how much I spend on quilts...... it's not a good thing to have a record that my DH could see. I'm very thankful that I haven't had to restrict my quilting at this point..... I wouldn't enjoy this hobby so much if I felt guilty for spending $$$ on it. I don't make tons of quilts but I am able to buy what I need when I need it...... and I don't go overboard.

hcarpanini 07-28-2013 05:01 AM

This looks like something I might actually use! My only problem with keeping track of my time is forgetting to stop and start a clock! I am a longarm quilter and sometimes think I should charge by the hour. Would this info be stored in the Cloud? Not sure what else I would want, maybe a place for customer contact info. Keep me posted. Thanks

bearisgray 07-28-2013 05:05 AM

Where/How does one track thinking/planning time?

cindi 07-28-2013 05:08 AM

Thanks hcarpaini, I'll get that answer when I e-mail him back with all our replies.

Caroline S 07-28-2013 07:44 AM

​This application is one I would use. I agree with you that progress pictures would be nice along with the time record.

Carrie H 07-28-2013 09:22 AM

I think it's a great idea. Having a timer that would automatically total the time daily would be fantastic. Perhaps the timer would continue to accumulate the time from all the starts and stops and then the user could send the total at the end of each day to log it in. Or, the user could also chose to not log it daily, but just let it accrue for each part of the project (Set up time, Piecing time, Quilting time). I'd definitely purchase something like this.

Tashana 07-28-2013 10:11 AM

Fabric price, batting price, ability to customize quilting price for long arm quilting - various complexity of quilting, ability to generate short report (for customer) fith price break down, and long report for personal use. Possibility to add customer contact info; order info such ad date received and date when the quilt is due. Possibility to customize sale tax and generate an invoice to be printed or e mailed...I would purchase this app if it can do all this.

Knitette 07-28-2013 10:38 AM

I know this is picky, but I'd want an App that had correct spelling (and grammar)!
The very first word is spelled incorrectly 'your' as opposed to 'you're'. Not a good first impression.
This lack of attention to detail would make me, as a consumer, think the App itself would have several 'bugs' or wasn't professionally done and as a result I would probably not purchase it.

Cybrarian 07-28-2013 10:41 AM

I don't sell but we have a Lawn/Landscape business so I have an appreciation for making sure customer and quilter are on the same page. Based on other threads I think a contract area that specifies exactly what the buyer & seller have agreed to (and the ability to customize this area) in terms of price, project specifics,delivery date, material/labor/quilting costs, etc is important and the ability to print this separate from the other info for those sellers who prefer to not spell out every detail to their customer.