Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you want to start your sewing/quilting supplies over? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-want-start-your-sewing-quilting-supplies-over-t241475.html)

Rose Marie 02-19-2014 06:59 AM

Rotary mat.
Clover red clips.
Magazine subscription.
12 in square ruler.

AliKat 02-19-2014 08:33 AM

Wow, I agree with everything already written. Though not a magazine subscription [that's just me though.]

I'd make a quilted ruler organizer. The one I was given had a matching fabric piece at the top so I hang it on my cutting station. It holds a 24x6 ruler, and so many more. There are 3 pockets at the bottom the first is shortest and the other two stagger in height. That way I can easily access my regular, most used, rulers quickly and they don't get battered about.

Jim 02-19-2014 10:36 AM

I'm ready for my 3rd Shape Cut ruler in 20 years...its my go to tool...I could get more mileage out of this one but I dropped it and cracked it. I got my first shape cut off QVC before they were available in stores.

quilter2090 02-19-2014 10:41 AM

June Tailor's Shape Cut ruler. As far as books go, there are so many patterns available for free on the Internet, so I think she can get all the patterns she wants for free.Check out garage sales,thrift stores for used sewing machines. Good luck to her.

Boston1954 02-19-2014 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6583752)
I would buy credit for her at the local quilt store so she could choose.

That is a TERRIFIC idea!

bearisgray 02-19-2014 02:36 PM

If you have excess, how about making those items available and let her select what she might want.

Rodney 02-19-2014 02:50 PM

WilliP, I sent you a PM.
Rodney

WilliP 02-19-2014 09:19 PM

Thanks for the ideas and comments everyone. The seam ripper was a friend to friend gesture --- we always seem to have left ours at home on one occasion or another and end up borrowing from each other --- the joke is I never pass up on purchasing another seam ripper, just in case someone needs one! LOL I needed some input on starting point to go to my storage units and go through some of my four generation collection and get together some basics for her. Someone has already said she will buy her a new machine. She is waiting to see if her treadle machine is going to be able to be saved. We are a small community here, but we help each other out. I will be in touch with anyone who has pm to me or has left a please contact comment. I know I am trying to come up with a list and this makes me want to get the family photos passed around even more than I have been doing. By the way, is anyone from Saskatchewan? Avis grew up on a farm there and I'd kind of like to find a few photos to download and eventually get printed and framed for her.

rhilkey 02-19-2014 09:23 PM

Check to see if there is a local guilt group; they may have some 'extra' items.

WilliP 02-19-2014 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by rhilkey (Post 6585248)
Check to see if there is a local guilt group; they may have some 'extra' items.

I am sure that everyone who knows Avis is helping out in one way or another. From the Fire Dept to the local "guilt" group --I know you mean quilt, but there are a few "guilty quilters" among us. LOL Anyway, my idea is to just go through and get a small beginning together for her that she can use now and later/or donate to charity of her choice after. Like I say I have 4 generations of collecting behind me. LOL I have an extra cutting mat and rotary cutter if she wants them. I'm sorry, she doesn't get my Gigher shears, but I do have some Fiskars to pass her way. I have a small pair of embroidery scissors and a ton of floss and a few hoops ---a gift certificate to the local shop should get her back in business on her embroidery that she does to relax. I have a selection of hand sewing needles and a tub of various scraps for her to sort through. Just small things to me, but I know how much "normal" helps get you through the rough times.