Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What you can find on a rainy cold Saturday morning. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-you-can-find-rainy-cold-saturday-morning-t164122.html)

jrhboxers 10-29-2011 07:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Today in Maryland it is cold - mid 30s - and spitting rain/ice/sleet. Not a good day. DH and I decided to go to the new place just outside of town and try their breakfast. As we drove past the Fairgrounds we saw that they were having an estate auction and a flea market.

We went to breakfast and then back to the Fairgrounds. The estate sale was almost done, so we didn't even go in the building. We went to the two buildings were the flea market was. There were not 2 dozen vendors in total. But we looked around anyway.

DH found some HO track cork for his layout for $1. And a brand new version of a small-ish crock pot that I inherited from my dad. We used it a lot and it was really old so we were able to replace it with a little newer - brand new never used - model for $3. So as we are looking around I see this.

Looks like a sewing machine - oh well let's see.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278736[/ATTACH]

WOW - it is a 185 - the machine that I learned to sew on. The sticker said $15.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278737[/ATTACH]

I asked her how much and she said I could take it for - $5. So I quickly paid her and left.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278738[/ATTACH]

I had started looking for them on eBay and stuff. They were going for about $100 with and without shipping. At this price, I think I am going to let Billy have his way with her, when he feels better. I can just imagine what a beautiful girl she can become when treated like the lady that she is. And I have a cabinet that DH is refinishing for me that I found at the county dump site - FREE. And her measurements for it are perfect. LUCKY LUCKY ME. Not such a bad day after all.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278741[/ATTACH]

craftymatt2 10-29-2011 07:37 AM

WOW, what a find, good for you, have lots of fun.

Honeynga 10-29-2011 07:40 AM

How exciting for you ! I know the feeling of getting a sewing machine that takes you back years ! A few weeks ago I was at a yard sale and mentioned to the lady there that I had just bought a Singer in a cabinet at another sale...she said she had her mother's old machine and would sell it for me !!!! Oh MY, it was a Singer FW; just like my foster mother had made all my clothes on, including my wedding dress. Also, it was the machine I learned to sew on.

I got her, named her Miss Jimmie, have already used her for Dresden blades and love her !

Congratulations again !

QuiltnNan 10-29-2011 07:53 AM

congrats! what a great find. the case is beautiful wood. i love the way you 'teased' the story :)

crafty pat 10-29-2011 07:59 AM

Turned out to be your lucky day. Enjoy her.

irishrose 10-29-2011 08:02 AM

An excellent rainy day!

booklady 10-29-2011 08:29 AM

nice find. Always better when you weren't really looking, just browsing.

fluffygirl 10-29-2011 10:44 AM

I recently got a 185 too. They are so cute! You are really lucky to have a cabinet that fits the 3/4 machines. Happy sewing!

Pat

athomenow 10-29-2011 11:22 AM

Wonderful deals like this warm you right up! Congrats

needles3thread 10-29-2011 11:23 AM

Good for you........we love garage sales & flea markets.
Often find things we can use for little money.