Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is it that you do?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-you-do-t104774.html)

luvTooQuilt 03-03-2011 06:08 PM

Whack em with a hammer.. It'll flatten them right up.. :thumbup:

Not only will they be flat, you just found a stress reliever!!! lol.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

luckylindy333 03-03-2011 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Whack em with a hammer.. It'll flatten them right up.. :thumbup:

Not only will they be flat, you just found a stress reliever!!! lol.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-03-2011 08:19 PM

That is one nice thing about Eleanor Burns designs. She always has is figuredoutand stated int he instructions so all of your seams nest. When I do any other design, I try to figure it out for myself and generally mess it up.

butterflywing 03-03-2011 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
That is one nice thing about Eleanor Burns designs. She always has is figuredoutand stated int he instructions so all of your seams nest. When I do any other design, I try to figure it out for myself and generally mess it up.

i nearly broke my thumb twirling the joins on an oversize queen.
i've gone back to pressing seams open to begin with. no problems at all.

Murphy 03-03-2011 08:47 PM

Sometimes if they don't fit together smoothly, but not always.

butterflywing 03-03-2011 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Sometimes if they don't fit together smoothly, but not always.

me?

when you twirl seams open or when you press them open, you get the same number of layers, so i don't see that it matters. that said, i vote for the one that doesn't give me indian burns on my thumbs. when you count up all the joins there are on a very generous queen, don't be surprised if your thumbs want to run away from your hands. :lol: :lol: when our ancestresses pressed to one side it was to keep the loose batting in. batting isn't loose anymore so i feel it doesn't matter where the seams are. that's just me. :wink:

edit: whooops! i see that's in answer to the original question. :oops:
i thought it was in answer to my answer. sorry.

tjradj 03-03-2011 10:02 PM

I do whatever works.
I usually try to press my blocks in rows to the seams will next.
When I screw up, I decide on the fly.
If it looks like it's going to be too bulky, I'll repress.
Or, I use the hammer, or the butt of my seam ripper (wooden handled) It does flatten the seam, and I feel a lot better afterwards.

Jan in VA 03-03-2011 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I piece in a two blocks then four blocks pattern rather than in rows. It makes matching/abutting those seams between blocks easier when I'm not trying to get them to match all the way across a long row. Then I press the seams of the "four patch" so they go in a circular motion.

At the last I have only one long row to sew to complete the quilt.

Jan in VA

Twosie-foursie piecing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151789[/ATTACH]

mtspools 03-04-2011 05:45 AM

Thanks all

sewnsewer2 03-04-2011 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lakeview Quilting
When sewing block pieces together we press as as we go along so that the seams lay flat and match up. We sew the blocks into rows and Alternate the direction of seams in the rows. All is good, right?

But then when the rows of blocks are sewn together and the seams in some blocks are in the same direction as the previous rows block, this makes me crazy, do you re-iron seams in different direction so that they lay flat or not?

I do