Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What? You have GOT to be kidding! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-you-have-got-kidding-t251281.html)

Cybrarian 08-03-2014 01:38 PM

What? You have GOT to be kidding!

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486163[/ATTACH]Ever said this to yourself? I did-again- the other night around midnight. Made me think of all the problem solving skills so evident on this Board. Thought a thread to share how we approached and solved situations/mistakes/"wanting to do something different than a pattern showed it" etc would be a help and encouragement to each of us: newbies to experts. My latest, at midnight, was realizing that my carefully constructed multiple stripped borders I had attached to my bargello center to miter at the corners were working out great. Pressed one mitered side (per Eleanor Burns method) and folded back the second side to press (this gives you sewing lines to match and then sew on) and my last border strip, #5, was too short to fold back properly! Did a quick check of the other 3 corners and yes, too short on one side on all of them! Hmm, what to do? Start over? Couldn't, only scraps of that batik left- But, I had enough left to add a piece to each corner. So I unsewed a little, added the piece, pressed, resewed and it worked! Perfect? No, but not noticeable, especially to my DS & DDIL who it's for. In the picture the stiletto points to the seam where the extra piece is attached. Looking forward to your solutions I know I'll need at some point!:thumbup:

janRN 08-03-2014 01:45 PM

That's the beauty of working with batiks--I hide lots of those "short" sides in the swirls of color. That is an absolutely beautiful quilt, Cybrarian. No one will notice the piecing because they will be oohing & aahing over the bargello.

katier825 08-03-2014 01:52 PM

I think you did an awesome job with your fix! If you hadn't said where the problem was I never would have noticed. Pretty quilt!

ube quilting 08-03-2014 02:09 PM

Thanks for sharing your solution. It is what I think most quilters do and artists too, share our creative abilities and problem solving methods.
peace

calla 08-03-2014 02:14 PM

What a great suggestion, great quilt

Cybrarian 08-03-2014 02:20 PM

Would love to see others' solutions to project problems! Thanks for the kind comments, now on to the pieced backing. :)

Quiltngolfer 08-03-2014 02:21 PM

Great problem solving. Your quilt is awesome!

bearisgray 08-03-2014 02:35 PM

I "think" I see where you added the piece - but I'm not sure that I'm seeing it.

Excellent save! Beautiful quilt, too!

Shirlrh 08-03-2014 02:38 PM

It's not noticeable. Looks great!

GingerK 08-03-2014 03:24 PM

Great save! I have even pieced strips for a log cabin, when running short of a specific fabric. No one ever noticed--heck I could not even find them after they were quilted!