Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What you learn on the Internet stays on the Internet? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-you-learn-internet-stays-internet-t303533.html)

Onebyone 03-11-2019 06:44 PM

I believe it is our ethical obligation to ponder it.
I have never watched a tutorial or video about quilting online and thought I should be pondering if it was ethical. A good video or a dud is mostly all the thought I give one. LOL

Lady Diana 03-12-2019 06:39 AM

Evidently everything is up for grabs.....including my social security number and credit card. No one ever gets prosecuted. I would say if you want to make a quilt or use a technique that is on the web, go for it! I would give the artist or instructor credit if selling the item. If it is for my own enjoyment, absolutely no worries. Some people put "copyright", when they don't have one. Always good idea not to copy printed patterns. Support the designers and purchase their pattern. What you do with the creation afterwards, is your decision. Just don't use Disney images and try to sell them. If a company has a copyright and happens to notice your items at a Fair or bazar, normally, they just ask you to stop selling. Usually the Copyright Police are more interested in the Louis Vuitton knock offs being sold than quilted crafts.

bearisgray 03-12-2019 06:50 AM

I have often wondered where the "DearJane" book (and associated items) is on this spectrum.

pchp 03-12-2019 04:00 PM

I will mention again the "Just Wanna Quilt" podcast. The host is a law professor very interested in copyright law as it pertains to quilting.

Cattitude 03-13-2019 05:56 AM

I would suggest you always try to put yourself in the other person's shoes. How would you feel if someone ripped off material that you considered proprietary? Be honest with yourself about each situation and let your moral compass guide you. When it comes to YouTube tutorials I believe these are fair game. The creator of the video is being paid per view and also for any ads being played. But the main purpose of YouTube videos is self promotion. For example non blueprint Angela Walters machine quilting videos.....free, no ads....but promoting her personal brand and products (rulers for example). For myself her videos have helped me quite a bit and so I made a point of purchasing one of her books and a couple of her rulers. Being a former business owner maybe I look at things in a different light.

patricej 03-13-2019 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8224090)
I have never watched a tutorial or video about quilting online and thought I should be pondering if it was ethical. A good video or a dud is mostly all the thought I give one. LOL

you'd only need to ponder if you were considering creating your own version of it to share or sell to others.

patricej 03-13-2019 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cattitude (Post 8224696)
When it comes to YouTube tutorials I believe these are fair game.

not so.
plagiarism is wrong.
regardless of the source or format.

Cattitude 03-13-2019 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 8224706)
not so.
plagiarism is wrong.
regardless of the source or format.

I should have been a bit more clear. I am not talking about copying a pattern and selling it as yours. An earlier conversation was about sharing information with others which you have gleaned from other sources. This whole topic could become a real rabbit hole.....for example is it wrong to give a purchased pattern to a friend once you are finished?

patricej 03-13-2019 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cattitude (Post 8224802)
.....for example is it wrong to give a purchased pattern to a friend once you are finished?

as long as you give her the complete original and do not keep a copy for yourself.

Jingle 03-13-2019 02:44 PM

I donate or give away quilts. I have some I keep for myself. Most I make up my own pattern, don't even write it down. I don't sell quilts, too much hazzle.