Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What you learn in a quilt class stays in the quilt class? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-you-learn-quilt-class-stays-quilt-class-t303455.html)

Onebyone 03-07-2019 04:48 PM

What you learn in a quilt class stays in the quilt class?

I was showing a few quilters at guild a new way to make prairie points I learned how to do in a class. One member said that was the same as stealing from the instructor and I shouldn't do it. I didn't back down and kept on showing it just shaking my head. (this same member will skim through old quilt magazines on our free table and take pictures of the patterns she likes so she doesn't have to take the whole magazine). What is everyone's opinion about sharing what they learn from a quilt class? Not the written handouts just what was demonstrated.

cashs_mom 03-07-2019 04:54 PM

I heard a teacher talking about this one time. Her take on it was that there's really nothing new under the sun and you can't worry about someone passing on the techniques that you teach. Printed matter is a different story, but she said she had no problem with someone passing on her techniques although she appreciated at least getting credit for it.

Rhonda K 03-07-2019 05:10 PM

Well..after you learn it....you know it. So it becomes knowledge. You are sharing your knowledge. It's nice to share. In my sewing world, I would pay no attention to that person and continue on just like you.

dunster 03-07-2019 05:35 PM

A technique can't even be copyrighted. It was fine for you to demonstrate it. The lady who was taking pictures of the patterns, however, was violating copyright law. It's odd that she sees fault in your action and not in hers.

joe'smom 03-07-2019 08:22 PM

Stealing from the instructor? I'd like to hear the explanation for that, as you paid for the class.

Peckish 03-07-2019 09:10 PM

She's a hypocrite and a cuckoo bird. You can tell her I said that, too. :D

Onebyone 03-07-2019 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8221981)
She's a hypocrite and a cuckoo bird. You can tell her I said that, too. :D

I guess all guilds have one of each. I guess my guild got lucky and has two in one. LOL

quiltingshorttimer 03-07-2019 09:44 PM

Peckish--cracks me up! Especially after a somewhat contankerous meeting this month!

I agree that the written materials should not be handed out or copies. But showing what you've learned is not wrong--hopefully you also said where you learned this. I had to chuckle--one of the highest compliments to a teacher (and I was educator for 35 yrs) is when a student shares what they have learned with others--who hopefully will get excited and maybe seek out the teacher at a later date.

quilterpurpledog 03-08-2019 04:39 AM

Ticklish question to be sure. The lines are so blurry. Techniques cannot be patented or copyrighted. If I can help another quilter by showing her how I do something I am not infringing on another. Almost all classes I take at my guild are to learn techniques. And, it is true, there is nothing new under the sun-just revisited. I am sure that you know that is true about patterns. I can't tell you how many times I see patterns come out that are remakes of things traditional. And yet, the newcomers feel that they have reinvented the wheel. I am sure they are not necessarily aware that others have put patches together the same way-maybe different sizes, different colors, etc. Please keep showing others techniques to help them enjoy quilting more. My biggest complaint is about designers who feel that use of a pattern is a one time use and that if you want to make the quilt again that you have to buy a new pattern. They have the wrong idea of the difference between 'design' and 'pattern'.

SusieQOH 03-08-2019 04:42 AM

That's hilarious! :D Some people really need to get a life.