Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What are you quilting must haves? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-you-quilting-must-haves-t253095.html)

hautewife 09-05-2014 08:12 AM

What are you quilting must haves?

Hello all!

I've learned that quilting isn't exactly cheap, lol. There are so many notions and tools that it can all be quite overwhelming. My mother always said that Rome wasn't built in a day. Still, being the planner that I am, I would like to make a wishlist of items every quilter should have. So ladies...

Please name one item under $20 and one item over $20 (other than a sewing machine) that you believe is essential for every quilter.

Thanks in advance!

linda8450 09-05-2014 08:19 AM

Chocolate! Good rotary cutter, best mat you can afford. A few rulers, small, easy to handle ones, larger, cut across the width (folded of course) size, maybe a few specialty (I would wait until you get a feel for what you will need) and pins.

ckcowl 09-05-2014 08:24 AM

Cutting mat, rotary cutter and 6" X 24" ruler.
Good sewing scissors, an iron & ironing board, and pins.
Those and a sewing machine are enough to get anyone going on their quilting adventure.everything else can be collected over time. Visit local quilt shops many of them will demonstrate new notions,rulers, handy-dandy gadgets... Which you can then add to a wish list as you learn,see uses for

MFord 09-05-2014 08:27 AM

Buy good quality fabric - you will be unhappy with the results of the cheaper stuff! More than one seam ripper - they walk away and you need them! A self-healing mat - the others get scarred up pretty fast.

ManiacQuilter2 09-05-2014 08:30 AM

6"x24" ruler, rotary mat and cutter. Everything else is extra (except the fabric !!).

hautewife 09-05-2014 08:34 AM

Will I really be ripping seams that often? (imagine me biting my nails)

Originally Posted by MFord (Post 6875568)
Buy good quality fabric - you will be unhappy with the results of the cheaper stuff! More than one seam ripper - they walk away and you need them! A self-healing mat - the others get scarred up pretty fast.

Dolphyngyrl 09-05-2014 08:34 AM

june tailor shape cut, clover wonder clips 10pk

ekuw 09-05-2014 08:40 AM

Let me preface this by saying I am not into gadgets...The essentials are a cutting mat, rotary cutter, 6 x 24" ruler and a 6 x 18" ruler (which I use for just about everything). I have a bunch of other rulers that a friend gave me, but don't use them. K.I.S.S. :-)

nanna-up-north 09-05-2014 08:44 AM

I'd say most everyone has nailed it..... a good cutting mat and rotary cutter are the most important. After that, it's just fun to add things that make quilting easier. And, it's okay if it takes you years to accumulate. I'd hate to see the final tally of what I've spent on quilting stuff.

Havplenty 09-05-2014 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6875573)
6"x24" ruler, rotary mat and cutter. Everything else is extra (except the fabric !!).

Definitely the above, pins, extra rotary blades. The 6 x 24 ruler you can get at Joann's with coupons or Walmart. It may be your over $20.00 along with your cutting mat. A good rotary cutter is gonna cost about that much also as well as the extra blades. Pins, fabric, seam rippers will be your under $20.00 items.

I have a seam ripper but don't know where it is as I use a small pair of scissors when I need to remove stitches. Look for the cheaper items at places such as Walmart, Tuesday Morning, yard/estate sales. Look on Craigslist for yard/estate sales as you can get some wonderful items there including fabric.

While quilting is not an inexpensive hobby, you can build your inventory over time and spread your purchases out. This way you do not realize how much you are spending on this craft. Don't consider purchasing specialty rulers until you get a feel for what you like and will use. I only have square templates that I purchased and got a flying geese one in a swap. Otherwise I make my templates with template plastic and cardboard. Just about any shape of template you want is available for free online. Downline and make your own templates.

About the iron, some use really cheap irons and some use expensive ones. Start off with a cheaper one and as you grow you can determine what your needs are and what you like better. Enjoy your new hobby.