Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your BEST Advice for Successful Sewing???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-best-advice-successful-sewing-t228721.html)

Treasureit 08-25-2013 09:18 AM

What is your BEST Advice for Successful Sewing????

I have been thinking about how much my sewing has improved over the years...(humbly say I) and was considering the why is that....

I think the most important change, for me, is that I have slowed down and take my time with directions and stop sewing for a while when stumped and then come back to it fresh. I pay close attention to my seams and use my ripper when needed. (Age seems to have helped with this slowing down thing...so it isn't all my doing! LOL)

NOW ...what is your secret to successful sewing?

J.M. 08-25-2013 09:23 AM

Being precise. Precise in measuring, precise when cutting, precise when sewing so my seam allowance isn't too big or too small. Precision means the block ends up perfect (or as close to it as I can come) which makes everything <i>so much easier</i>.

DOTTYMO 08-25-2013 09:25 AM

Looking back when I started quilting I was running at the pace I was at work. Over the years I have learned to slow down and take my time . My piecing is much more accurate and I take more time in selecting fabric and only buying my needs. At first I really wanted to fly yet I couldn't run properly. I wanted to go every show buy every tool. I was like a chld in a candy shop entering a quilt shop.,

Neesie 08-25-2013 09:30 AM

Practice, practice, practice. Also, I'll never make a perfect quilt or "show quality" quilt . . . but I'm okay with that! :thumbup:

crafty pat 08-25-2013 09:32 AM

Yes, like you I have to watch my speed. I hate reading instructions so I have to force myself to read it slow and over again to make sure I did not rush through them.

quiltingloulou 08-25-2013 09:38 AM

What is it about instructions? I too have to make myself study them and not race on. This is one area where I seem to be impatient. I have learned to take more time over things and the old adage of "measure twice and cut once" is certainly a meaningful one.

SumikoKeel 08-25-2013 09:39 AM

All I can say is love what you are doing:) ... and always be encouraged. For everything that feels like a boo boo it's a creative indulgence! :P

ube quilting 08-25-2013 09:43 AM

I don't care if it's perfect and I don't care who knows. I don't quilt for any one but me. Even though quilts are gifted the making of the quilt is all about my satisfaction. Not caring about improving all the time has given me the freedom to create fun stuff that sometimes are great and sometimes not. So what! I have fun.

Making quilts shouldn't be torture and that is a hard lesson to learn for most of us.
peace

grammy Dwynn 08-25-2013 10:49 AM

Do not "ASS-U-ME" that you/I know everything, there is always room for improving and learning.
Going slower and having patience has helped. Pay attention ~ reading instructions, cutting, sewing, and piecing.

Luv Quilts and Cats 08-25-2013 10:52 AM

I have noticed my quilting has got better over the years, too. I have been working on finishing UFOs On project was 5 inch squares of batiks that needed borders put on. I finally put the borders on and when ironing the top I noticed some mistakes in stitching. To be expected as this was one of the first things I sewed. That made me realized I am better at it now. Nowhere near perfect but better. I have learned that getting lost in the moment when I sew, when it's just me and the fabric but also with my quilting friends, I relax more and get more out of creating it. I am now working on my first bargello. Not easy, but not hard either. And I am having fun. So take a risk and learn something new. You never know where it will lead you.