Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your best tip for a complete beginner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-best-tip-complete-beginner-t235104.html)

justflyingin 11-22-2013 09:13 AM

For me it depends if you mean you are a beginning sewer or a beginning quilter.

For a beginning sewer/seamstress/sewist :), practice sewing some and make sure you learn to control the fabric and learn your machine.

For a beginning quilter...try different things, keep learning, try to keep your seams the right width and enjoy the journey because you are probably going to be sewing the rest of your life!

PenniF 11-22-2013 09:27 AM

THERE ARE NO QUILT POLICE....there are some who THINK they are, but they're delusional. Be kind to yourself ... meaning don't judge your own work too harshly - everything is a learning experience. Most of all - ENJOY yourself...it should be a joy to sew and quilt - not work. Welcome to the land of crazy quilters.

Wanabee Quiltin 11-22-2013 09:36 AM

I was taught to quilt by a teacher who was excellent. 3 things: cut precisely, sew with a scant 1/4 seam and press each seam correctly. If you do these 3 things, then your block will be beautiful and thus the quilt will turn out right.

Rann 11-22-2013 11:13 AM

Set aside plenty of money.

IBQUILTIN 11-22-2013 12:35 PM

Measure twice, cut once and be accurate. Watch lots of tutorials and enjoy yourself

WTxRed 11-22-2013 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF (Post 6418722)
THERE ARE NO QUILT POLICE....there are some who THINK they are, but they're delusional. Be kind to yourself ... meaning don't judge your own work too harshly - everything is a learning experience. Most of all - ENJOY yourself...it should be a joy to sew and quilt - not work. Welcome to the land of crazy quilters.

Originally Posted by Rann (Post 6418911)
Set aside plenty of money.

2 of my favorites!

Rolanda 11-22-2013 04:49 PM

Complete each quilt project before you begin another one or you will find yourself overwhelmed with UFO's (unfinshed objects). Enjoy the journey!!

caspharm 11-22-2013 05:16 PM

Try to learn as much as possible. Go to classes, especially a begin to quilt class or find a good teacher in a guild. Check the local community center or college for a class.

Definitely don't be too critical of your own work. Enjoy yourself! Welcome to the family of quilters!

lovequilts 11-22-2013 07:48 PM

Take pictures of ALL your projects and label your quilts. It will be so fun over the years to see how your sewing/quilting has improved and evolved. you'll be so surprised>>>>

twinkie 11-23-2013 03:18 AM

Chase, this is the advice I was going to give. To me this is most important.

Originally Posted by Chasezzz (Post 6414464)
Precision in your cutting and your scant 1/4" seam will make a world of difference in reducing your stress and making any project go smoother. Find and use tools to make precision easy (non-slip rulers, comfortable rotary cutters, a good 1/4" foot for your machine).