Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What was your biggest waste of money? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-biggest-waste-money-t202622.html)

thepolyparrot 10-10-2012 05:05 PM

Well, I'm a sucker for gadgets and tools and I don't regret any of the specialty rulers I've bought - except the duplicates! I've done that three times, now - ordered a ruler that I already have! I have a ton of rulers still in their wrappers and I'm not sorry I bought them even though I haven't used them yet - I might need them someday! :D

But, I've bought my fair share of klinkers.

The round or square "frames" that are alleged to hold your quilt firmly while you are free-motion quilting. They require constant picking up and moving and a lot of a pinching motion - RMI waiting to happen, except that you will give up on the darn things long before it has a chance of developing. They will be far more in your way than you can even imagine. I do use the round one to trace a large circle sometimes. Template plastic is a lot cheaper. ;)

The ultimate pounce and screen stencils. No go. :D I have blue and white and either of them can leave a visible mark on a piece of smooth fabric. A quilt is not smooth, though and holding the stencil down flat to the surface is necessary in order to get a transfer of the design. Once you do get the design stencilled on, you start quilting and guess what? The vibration of your sewing machine punching into your quilt rattles the miracle powder out of place in a 2-4" radius around the needle! LOL!

The first fabric tagging gun I bought was a frustrating piece of junk - and I can't remember what brand it was - it was the one sold in Joann Fabrics in the quilting section about five years ago. But the Avery tag gun made for fine fabrics (used with 1/4'' barbs) and the Micro Stitch guns are both great. Love, love, LOVE them!

Seams So Fast and The Angler have only been out of their packages once - more trouble than they're worth.

In my opinion, of course - other people have tried all these things and found them helpful.

leighway 10-10-2012 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by nstitches4u (Post 5574652)
Is your cutting mat the Olfa rotating mat? I have one and didn't like it because it was hard to turn. I read somewhere (maybe on this board) that if you turn the base over, it works better. It really does. One side of the base is kind of rubbery and the other side is smooth. The smooth side lets the mat turn. I use it all the time now.

Great topic!! I was going to add my piece which includes the BEST and the WORST...the Best is the Martelli round lazy susan cutting board that has a removable layer so you can iron on the layer below...I love the thing!! and when I saw the Olfa square turning board I instantly knew it wouldn't be any good compared to Martelli's round...seems like my instincts were right. Now for the WORST....the black Martelli ruler with slots for various cutting sizes....If you can't see your fabric beneath this thing, it's just psychological...you don't reach for it. But that round Martelli cutting board is a dream come true.
And the Pounce stinks....I loaded it up and nada...just a pain in the neck.

jollyquilting 10-10-2012 06:26 PM

The EQ 7, I can't figurer it out and don't want to trouble to worry about it. Guess I am just too old.

Knitnoid 10-10-2012 06:52 PM

I used my serger constantly when I sewed garments. Eons ago, I let the movers take my sewing machine, but not my serger since I knew we would be staying with my folks for a couple of months until we got our own place. My husband thought I was crazy and my mom didn't see a need for a serger. Well, I knew mom has a sewing machine, so I didn't need to bring mine given the space limitations. About two weeks later, I knocked one of the loopers or knives loose stitching over a pin (Ah, big no-no. you just thought you weren't supposed to stitch over a pin on your sewing machine) I walked around the house in a daze because I "couldn't" sew w/o my serger. After 3 or 4 days, mom went out and bought her OWN and about a week later mine was fixed. I think mom wore two sergers out sewing for her grandbabies.

As for the Accuquilt -- I think it depends on the type of quilter you are. I have a friend with the Go! and another with the Baby Go! I see absolutely no reason to buy one myself. I'll borrow it. In fact I did last summer to make a drunkard's path type quilt. I wouldn't have made the quilt without the cutter - but I can't see myself using the cutter for square, rectangles, triangles and strips. If I ever make another double wedding ring quilt, I'll buy the die. There is an Eleanor Burns die - I can't remember which one now -- which I would buy.

Pepita 10-10-2012 07:30 PM

I have a Sizzix machine and didn't feel the desire to have the Accuquilt Baby Go. I found the plexiglass templates for the double wedding ring not worth the expenditure. They move when you cut around, even while you think your holding it in place, and the fabric comes out skewed. I've found the pouncer good for putting down a mark quickly, and if I want it to stay, I use a chalk pencil to go over the lines. So far that has been my best use for the pouncer. I think for the cost my serger is probably my biggest mistake. I got it many years ago, and always found the tensions difficult. I use my sewing machine mainly for my quilts, and I didn't like the look of a quilt I serged.

Pepita 10-10-2012 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Retiredandquilting (Post 5572410)
Flynn Quilting Frame. What a waste of money. I can't even give it away!

I forgot about that! I finally got mine out of the box (probably there for 10 years) and followed the directions, got the long pipes and the other ends, and found it was a disaster. I feel better reading others not liking it as well.

Divokittysmom 10-10-2012 07:41 PM

Simplicity Bias Tape Maker & Rotary Cutting Machine! Big mistake :(

Pds 10-10-2012 07:46 PM

A gadget to sharpen my old rotary blades. It never ever worked, and in fact, appeared to make them worst. Don't fall for the "hype".

Divokittysmom 10-10-2012 08:11 PM

Clover bobbin holder...bought 2.. cannot not keep them from falling apart. Awful

#1piecemaker 10-10-2012 08:13 PM

The AccuQuilt Go . I bought it and several dies and haven't used it but twice.